New regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stop mashing the inflator while inhaling in cold water :no

Tim Greaves:
I was waiting for this question to pop up..

I had a MK25/G250HP and had it freeze up 4 different times at depths from 60 to 100 feet.. The reg was brand new and wasnt anywhere near time for it to be serviced.. I returned it to the dive shop to get it checked out and they said it was fine after the 1st time it froze up..

After the 3rd time I called scubapro and sent it to them to have it checked out.. The did some adjusting on it and sent it back to me.. The very next dive it froze up again so I sold it..

My dive buddy has a MK25/S600 that froze up the first time he used it and was still blowing out air when he reached the surface.. It was spraying out small ice chunks on the surface.. If I can find a camera housing ill take the reg down to the bottom of our quarry on a separate tank and make a video of it freezing up..

We can only make judgements on past experance and with my dive buddys and I we have seen first hand scubapro regs break and apeks regs never have a problem..

what depth was the reg:shakehead ?? lmao!! scubapro now has depth limits!!! WOW
As a life long scubapro man i tried the S600:no and it froze up at bainbridge Never again!!:bfish: i have now switch brands. it also happened to a brand new reg just bought there by a friend!!!! NOW i said GOODAY
DEEP DOWN YOU KNOW YOU WANT THE BEST---->>>> APEKS

ds4/xtx50 apeks - didn't try the scubapro but ds4 being sealed is easy to maintain (soak and forget aproach)
both apeks and SP offer good warranties with free maintanace parts
a buddy of mine uses SP S600 in same conditions (NorCal...moderate depth/temps) - no problems
to me apeks was about 100$ less from same authorized dealer... so no contest
also heard great things about DR hurricanes

wingsntalons:
what depth was the reg:shakehead ?? lmao!! scubapro now has depth limits!!! WOW
As a life long scubapro man i tried the S600:no and it froze up at bainbridge Never again!!:bfish: i have now switch brands. it also happened to a brand new reg just bought there by a friend!!!! NOW i said GOODAY
DEEP DOWN YOU KNOW YOU WANT THE BEST---->>>> APEKS
:lol:
That was very....um...informative. Would you care to explain how you're a "master diver" with <25 dives?

Not really. I was just having a little fun at your expense :wink:

btw, I have had my SP MK10/G250s, MK20/G500s and MK25/S600s in water as cold as 38F and have never once experienced a free flow. :D The X650 is the only problem area I have found and it didn't result in an all out free flow.

Tim Greaves:
Are you spying on me??
OK, ya got me.. :D

Well, that person has been certified for 10 or more years :wink:

SparticleBrane:
:lol:
That was very....um...informative. Would you care to explain how you're a "master diver" with <25 dives?

As an alternative take a look at the Mares V32 Metal Proton:
The lightest and most compact all metal regulator in the world
High performance in all temperature extremes – including Ice diving!
Moisture Retention System (All Metal 2nd stage) reduces dry mouth and enhances comfort
Nitrox Compatible to 40% (The Recreational Limits of Nitrox)
Environmentally sealed first stage keeps out all contaminants including sand, salt and chlorine
Brass Heat Exchanger: reduces chance of freeze-ups
Oversized purge button is extremely easy to use, even with heavy gloves
Specially designed mesh grid 2nd stage cover to prevent unwanted free-flow
even in the strongest currents
VAD (Vortex Assisted Design) by-pass system for effortless, natural breathing under all conditions
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-36/033055-035033/Mares-V32-Proton-Metal-Regulator.html

Obviously, freezing up is the regulator's fault. Couldn't possibly be anything else.

Well couple years ago everyone bailed on Apeks due to the IP creep issues and some runaway ascents + DCS hits therefrom. Guess those have been forgotten and the latest fatality (icing free-flow) in Canada has pushed people back towards sealed diaphrams.

Actually I doubt those "contributing" here know much about either of these events. They are just spouting off. :light:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom