New regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Manthe:
Hi,
I use several Apeks (FST/TX100, DS4/TX50 and TEK3/TX50 for double rigs, DST/TX50 for stages). the performance of all regs is more or less the same. So if one want a good value I would go for the DS4/TX50. The benefit of the TEK3 is the clean hose routing - so I would not call it nonsense.

jm2p

Mike

Yes, the TEK3 might have good routing for doubles (not used it)
but what if
- your singles reg breaks -- does it have decent routing for a single?
- your right post fails (pre-dive) and you want to swap in a reg, but only have a "left-post" TEK3 ? How does that work?
- does it work as a deco/stage reg?

Maybe the answer is "works fine" to all of the above, and in that case (once the price comes down) it would be a good purchase, but I am not sure if it works well in those scenarios.

I know the DS4 and Scubapro can fulfill all those roles, which is important to me.

limeyx:
Yes, the TEK3 might have good routing for doubles (not used it)
but what if
- your singles reg breaks -- does it have decent routing for a single?
Should work fine, though it looks a little bit strange

- your right post fails (pre-dive) and you want to swap in a reg, but only have a "left-post" TEK3 ? How does that work?
It's not different to the DS4, where the HP Port is only on one side of the reg.

- does it work as a deco/stage reg?
I see no reason why it should not work as a stage reg. But my choice is the DST. I like movement of the turret.

I can make some photos of your sceneries and post them. But it will take some days. I am away from home.

Maybe the answer is "works fine" to all of the above, and in that case (once the price comes down) it would be a good purchase, but I am not sure if it works well in those scenarios.

I guess the price is a problem - as long as you can buy a nearly similar reg (DS4) for m less than half the price. On the other hand the TEK3 is absolutely rule #6-proof (always look cool) - and I can find my rig in a crowd of DS4-doubles rigs :wink:

I know the DS4 and Scubapro can fulfill all those roles, which is important to me.
I subscribe to your point of view. Both are good regs but I really appreciate that apeks produces a reg for such a niche market as DIR

Boomer7:
I am looking to upgrade my regs and am torn between scubapro and Apex. If I go with SP I know which model I will get. It is a little tougher with the apex. What are the divers on the board currently using. Which brand and model?

Brian

I always had freeflow problems with scubapro regs freezing up.. My friend has a video of him on the surface with an s600 blowing ice chunks out when it froze up..

He now has an Apeks ATX-200 and I have a Apeks XTX-200 and a Apeks DS4/XTX50 and neither of us have had a problem since..... Nuff said..

Mike Manthe:
I subscribe to your point of view. Both are good regs but I really appreciate that apeks produces a reg for such a niche market as DIR

True, but one of the DIR requirements (or at least "really nice to have") is that all regs are interchangeable. If this is the case for TEK3, then it's just price.

limeyx:
True, but one of the DIR requirements (or at least "really nice to have") is that all regs are interchangeable. If this is the case for TEK3, then it's just price.

Depening on how many HP and LP ports you need.. Wouldnt it just work to turn 2 DS4's sideways and use the ports that fire down?

You could configure that to get 5 low pressure ports and 1 hp port... Or 2 hp ports and 4 low pressure..

Boomer7:
The MK25/S600 is the reg that I am leaning towards. The only problem is that my local dive shop sells apeks and the nearest SP dealer is 100 miles away.
I purchased two MK25 first stages and an S600 second stage from ScubaToys ... they're way more than 100 miles from me, but the regs were warrantied, so it doesn't really matter. Got 'em for a great price too.

I also have several Apeks regs ... DS4, DST and ATX100 first stages as well as ATX50, TX50 and ATX200 second stages. Overall I like the ScubaPro seconds better ... the Apeks second stages tend to breathe wet if you go inverted ... which I like to do when taking pictures. The MK25 first stages route cleaner on my doubles setup, while the Apeks regs route nicer on my singles rigs.

They're all good performers and solid regs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tim Greaves:
Depening on how many HP and LP ports you need.. Wouldnt it just work to turn 2 DS4's sideways and use the ports that fire down?

You could configure that to get 5 low pressure ports and 1 hp port... Or 2 hp ports and 4 low pressure..

The DS4's work OK (a little ugly on doubles as the hoses get jammed against the tanks -- not nearly as good as the s/pro MK25).

The TEK3 is a bit of a (to me) unknown as I haven't seen or used it.

limeyx:
The DS4's work OK (a little ugly on doubles as the hoses get jammed against the tanks -- not nearly as good as the s/pro MK25).

The TEK3 is a bit of a (to me) unknown as I haven't seen or used it.

I wouldnt use a MK25 if my life depended on it(which it does).. The TEK3's just kinda look like DS4's with all the ports on one side.. I havent seen one up close so its a little hard to tell from the pictures of them..

2-ds4's, 4-dst's, 3-tx 50's, 3-tx 40's. Currently using the ds 4's on back gas and dst's for stage/deco. I appreciate the turrets on slung tanks. I yearn for fsr's or tek3's for back gas as they would both provide better routing than the ds4, which doesn't provide a great routing for a second lp hose off the left reg. I just haven't justified the additional cost of the aforementioned, yet. If/when I buy two more, I'll go for the xtx seconds so I can try the smaller exhaust tee's as deco or backup regs and still convert back to the wider t if I don't like them.

The fact that all my regs can be serviced with the same first and second kits has saved more than one dive.

I would consider Dive Rite regs. I like some of their policies concerning parts and warranty. They are a great breathing reg as well.

Brent

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom