New regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Greaves:
I wouldnt use a MK25 if my life depended on it(which it does)..

Since according to your profile you have less than 100 dives and have also not taken DIRF either, I'm wondering how and why you came to this conclusion?

Personally, I have a Mk20/S600 and a Mk25/R380 (the 380 I don't like and wish I had a 190 instead but can't really justify switching it) on back gas. They are great regs for doubles, best hose routing available, they breath great (except the 380), and they don't have IP creep issues like (notably) the atx200s have shown in the past. Down to 44F water (knock wood) and no issues whatsoever despite the unsealed pistons. Historical worldwide parts availability on long discontinued SP models is a plus although I didn't know this when I bought them.

I also got into some dive-rites for deco bottles. Got 2 of those and they work nifty in that application. I don't know if the swivel would be an asset or a hinderance on doubles - never tried them there. I have used them on singles rigs down to 100ft. They breathed great at those depths on 32% and so I conclude they would also be just fine much, much deeper (assuming you are using a DIR [helium] mix).

Thanks for all the input. I have decided on a couple of ATX50's and DS4's. With all of the info I have read I could no go wrong with the combo. My DiveRite's will now be made into a single reg set up and and also replace the mares on my O2 bottle.

Thanks

rjack321:
Since according to your profile you have less than 100 dives and have also not taken DIRF either, I'm wondering how and why you came to this conclusion?

Because I have nothing but problems with scubapro regs and the MK25 in particular.. Also dive buddys with me have also have many problems with them..

Does the fact that I have less than 100 dives mean that I havent ran into problems and know what gear works and what doesnt?

Tim Greaves:
Because I have nothing but problems with scubapro regs and the MK25 in particular.. Also dive buddys with me have also have many problems with them..

Does the fact that I have less than 100 dives mean that I havent ran into problems and know what gear works and what doesnt?
Earlier this year our cell phone contracts were up so we went to our provider to get some new phones since we were eligible. My mother made the point that she refused to buy another phone from LG because hers didn't work too well. After a bit it was discovered that she somehow had some water damage on it.

Her bad experience on her first and only cell phone led her to believe that since her phone was "bad", that all LG phones are bad. Turns out it was user error.

To me this is essentially the same thing you are saying. There are zillions of people out there with MK25/S600 regs that work flawlessly. Your own personal experience is not representative of the group at large.

Tim Greaves:

Well, your opinion would carry more weight if you had thousands of dives, and had owned multiple sets of all kinds of different regulators of different brands, and found that your MK25's were failing far more than the other kinds.

You may have a bad reg, a damaged reg etc. How many sets do you own?
I have 5 Apeks DS4 first stages, 6+ second stages, 2 MK25 firsts, 2 scubapro seconds, and have found no significant issues with any of them from 44F temps in Seattle, to SoCal diving, to cave diving in Mexico.

There are some minor convenience issues
- hose routing
- cost
- ease of service

but certainly no major issues with either way.

EDIT: Would you also mind sharing what issues you've experienced with the scubapros ? What did the store say when you took them back and complained?
Do you follow the service schedule ?

There are alot of DIR divers, doing really big dives, relying on mk20/25s with their lives. Typically with s600 or g250 2nds. I'm not getting below 170ft myself but have found them to be one of the best regulators for both breathing and service.

If someone is having problems with mk25s I suspect bad tuning. I have way too much gear to maintain all of it myself and my regs are in warranty so I bring them in. Without fail the LP seat on the s600s are overtuned when they come back. 2-3 dives later they seat in and then tend to flow a little. I just get them snugged up and the problem is gone until the next service.

The only thing that can "go wrong" on the mk25 1st stage is the piston and yes occasionally they are bad. Also no piston reg is really suitable for ice diving. If you're into that, get sealed diaphrams but be prepared to keep a close eye out for IP creep.

SparticleBrane:
Earlier this year our cell phone contracts were up so we went to our provider to get some new phones since we were eligible. My mother made the point that she refused to buy another phone from LG because hers didn't work too well. After a bit it was discovered that she somehow had some water damage on it.

Her bad experience on her first and only cell phone led her to believe that since her phone was "bad", that all LG phones are bad. Turns out it was user error.

To me this is essentially the same thing you are saying. There are zillions of people out there with MK25/S600 regs that work flawlessly. Your own personal experience is not representative of the group at large.

When people ask I tell.. I have had problems and my dive buddys have had problems with scubapro regs.. None of us have had problems with Apeks regs.. Nothing more I can say there..

Use whatever works for you.. But when someone askes about scubapro vs apeks I tell them apeks and why..

limeyx:
EDIT: Would you also mind sharing what issues you've experienced with the scubapros ? What did the store say when you took them back and complained?
Do you follow the service schedule ?

I was waiting for this question to pop up..

I had a MK25/G250HP and had it freeze up 4 different times at depths from 60 to 100 feet.. The reg was brand new and wasnt anywhere near time for it to be serviced.. I returned it to the dive shop to get it checked out and they said it was fine after the 1st time it froze up..

After the 3rd time I called scubapro and sent it to them to have it checked out.. The did some adjusting on it and sent it back to me.. The very next dive it froze up again so I sold it..

My dive buddy has a MK25/S600 that froze up the first time he used it and was still blowing out air when he reached the surface.. It was spraying out small ice chunks on the surface.. If I can find a camera housing ill take the reg down to the bottom of our quarry on a separate tank and make a video of it freezing up..

We can only make judgements on past experance and with my dive buddys and I we have seen first hand scubapro regs break and apeks regs never have a problem..

Tim Greaves:
When people ask I tell.. I have had problems and my dive buddys have had problems with scubapro regs.. None of us have had problems with Apeks regs.. Nothing more I can say there..

Use whatever works for you.. But when someone askes about scubapro vs apeks I tell them apeks and why..

Earlier its was the mk25 you won't rely on with your life. Please describe the 1st and 2nd stage models you've used/mated, the problems you've had, and their root causes. Please include water type, depths, temperatures, and gases used if the problems occurred UW. Please be detailed. "I've had problems and would never buy one" isn't very illuminating.

Skip the heresay, I'd like to hear your personal experiences. Point your friends to this thread and have them chime in if they have additional anecdotes to contribute.

Ok you posted while I was. What's the temp in this quarry? And at what depths did the freezeups occur? What time of year and how warm or cold was the air temp? Did you let the tanks or regs get chilled below freezing prior to entering the water?

No piston reg is suitable for ice diving type temperatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom