New regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boomer7

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to upgrade my regs and am torn between scubapro and Apex. If I go with SP I know which model I will get. It is a little tougher with the apex. What are the divers on the board currently using. Which brand and model?

Brian

Boomer7:
I am looking to upgrade my regs and am torn between scubapro and Apex. If I go with SP I know which model I will get. It is a little tougher with the apex. What are the divers on the board currently using. Which brand and model?

Brian

For Apeks, the DS4/TX50 or ATX50 are popular. The other newer Apeks are very similar in performance, but more $$$. I would not waste the money on the "Tek3" nonsense.

I just switched from Apeks to Scubapro MK25/S600 and they (IMO) breathe far better.

The Apeks Nitrox-ready regs breathe really (really) well on deco tho :)

Apeks DS4/ATX50 ...the other Apeks regs are all pretty much the same internally and breathe about the same, so go with the less expensive option :)

limeyx:
For Apeks, the DS4/TX50 or ATX50 are popular. The other newer Apeks are very similar in performance, but more $$$. I would not waste the money on the "Tek3" nonsense.

I just switched from Apeks to Scubapro MK25/S600 and they (IMO) breathe far better.

The Apeks Nitrox-ready regs breathe really (really) well on deco tho :)

The MK25/S600 is the reg that I am leaning towards. The only problem is that my local dive shop sells apeks and the nearest SP dealer is 100 miles away.

Apeks, not "Apex", Boomer :)

I have an S600/R190/Mk25 on my singles reg and it breathes like a dream. I prefer environmentally sealed diaphragm regs for my doubles, though. I have DS4/ATX50s on my doubles and deco/stages.

limeyx:
I would not waste the money on the "Tek3" nonsense.
Agreed.

limeyx:
I switched from MK25/S600s to Apeks XTX200s. IMO, they breathe slightly better and I prefer their hose routing to the Scubapros.

I just ordered a XTX50/DS4 out of curiosity to see if it breathes any differently than the XTX200s. My guess is that it will be very similar/identical. . .

Boomer7:

Brian

It is a toss up. I have about a dozen of both (DS4/TX50 and Mk25/G250). SP breathe slightly better when well tuned (on mix you can't really tell) and hose routing on AL doubles is easier. But, SP is less reliable and requires more overall maintenance. On the upside, in Mexico and many other locations SP parts are easier to come by if you do have a problem while travelling. I would learn towards Apeks due to reliability, but SP has its virtues.

Boomer7:
The MK25/S600 is the reg that I am leaning towards. The only problem is that my local dive shop sells apeks and the nearest SP dealer is 100 miles away.

I have both SP and Apeks regs. I like them both.

Personally, I see service as an important factor so I would probably go with Apeks in your case.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian,

I use Apeks FST/XTX100 for my doubles rig and DST/ATX50 for my single rig (which will turn into stage regs). If you are going to be at the DIR Dive Day in TN this Saturday I'll bring both sets. You're welcome to try them out.

Mike

Hi,
I use several Apeks (FST/TX100, DS4/TX50 and TEK3/TX50 for double rigs, DST/TX50 for stages). the performance of all regs is more or less the same. So if one want a good value I would go for the DS4/TX50. The benefit of the TEK3 is the clean hose routing - so I would not call it nonsense.

jm2p

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom