New Reg Set under $500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly would have @Deep Six at the top of the list....

HOG is a goood one too, but by the time I put the [necessary here] cold water kit on the first stage, it starts getting far from the "happy price"...

The other is the DIN situation. If the DIN/yoke converter is a spin on adapter as it looks like in the link, and if the OP is planning on using yoke tanks, I would pass on the deal. Buying DIN regs when you are diving with yoke tanks is a mistake.
Good Greif!! Please make it stop! At the posted price of $315... You could easily source the DIN 'Conversion' kit from HOG and still be way ahead.
And.. just last week, a guy on here got his D6 regs in with DIN by mistake, and guess what?? His LDS had a DIN/Pro valve on hand for him to rent! He did not even need the DIN/Yoke adapter. I really think this is a much smaller issue that some of you Yokesters make it out to be.

But, I think someone else posted that the DIN/yoke converter included is an actual conversion kit, and if that's the case, perfect.

Base on the pic and the description, is sure looks like that package comes with a DIN/Yoke ADAPTER. You may be right, but I wonder if that is just speculation. ...Or based on some unrevealed information.

^^Read the add again..

yep! I was more commenting on the usual outcome. Yes, good deal! I have a doubles set plus two extra classics. Wife and daughter have been using them for singles. My buddy also has a set. Good regs! Rarely see a price that good....

Price wise compared to the D3 package from piranha Id go with the deep6 in yoke. For 375 you get; spg included, a full parts kit (including diaphragm, pelican style hard case, first servicing free, and free shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't read through the whole thread, but I saw you live on Tulsa. Yesterday my wife just picked up a MK21/S560 for me for Christmas. On Sale at ScubaBro's here in OKC for 499 . live on Tulsa. Merry Christmas!

Base on the pic and the description, is sure looks like that package comes with a DIN/Yoke ADAPTER. You may be right, but I wonder if that is just speculation. ...Or based on some unrevealed information.

It's based on this:
That's a good deal. DRIS also has that package if Piranha sells out. One observation, the "DIN TO YOKE Converter" is a conversion kit not a DIN to Yoke adapter, which could be desirable or not depending on your needs.

To the OP, if you are using yoke tanks, especially if your diving is primarily caribbean and U.S. resorts, buy yoke regs, or DIN regs with a converter, not spin-on adapter. Actually that might be the best decision because if you are traveling to a part of the world where DIN is common, you'll already have the DIN kit.

The DIN/yoke argument easily comes down to a few proven facts: 1) For recreational diving, both DIN and yoke are perfectly acceptable systems of connecting the reg to the tank. This is proven by the millions of recreational dives done with both systems on a continual basis. 2) It's much more convenient to have regulators that match the easily available tanks at your dive destination than it is to have to request special tanks or use an adapter.

As I've said on many of those somewhat tiresome threads about DIN vs yoke, I myself have no real preference. I have both DIN and yoke regs and use them both frequently. They both work. In overhead environments, DIN is more-or-less required due to entanglement and clearance issues. But in OW, either is fine.

I would be a bit cautious about the condition of the convertible valves that are starting to become common in some rental situations, Cozumel is a perfect example, because the yoke inserts basically live in the valves, where the unprotected threads are subjected to daily cycles of salt water use and drying. It will be interesting to see how those work out over the next few years.

I'll add one anecdote that I have observed with yoke regs is a higher incident of o-ring's extruding on high pressure tanks. I witnessed a relatively high rate of o-rings failing topside this year and I assume this is because more and more shops now have the capability to actually get those HP tanks jacked up.

Just something to consider, not interested in starting a debate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom