New Reg Set under $500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That looks great! thanks. I live in Tulsa, so I need to check the LDS to see what service is available.

I'm not sure if asking your LDS is going to really help make your decision. Most shops are going to try and sell you into brand "X" and give you a 100 reasons why brand "Y" will get you killed. Especially if they know you are getting ready to buy two sets of regs. In many cases, LDS will send regs out for service anyway. ...Or have a guy that stops by once/wk to do service. So your not gaining much vs sending your regs out to somebody like DRIS, or D6 for service.

Be very careful dealing with an LDS on this. Some might even blacklist you if they know you are buying gear elsewhere.

That is a great deal on sets of Hog regs -I have 4 sets of Hog D1 regs I use for sidemount diving and love them and you can go directly to you tube , some great videos on self servicing.

Be very careful dealing with an LDS on this. Some might even blacklist you if they know you are buying gear elsewhere.
This is the reason that so many LDS are going Out of Business since most divers can purchase on line for 1/2 of what most shops charge. I agree that local dive shops should make a profit but 100% plus markup from what they purchase for is unreasonable. In order for dive shops to remain profitable they have to promote other options such as training, running dive trips and gear servicing weather they sold it or online purchased- is you call in a repairman to service a appliance does he question where you bought appliance or was it online purchases. It is time for LDS to come out of the 1970's..

. I do a lot of my own maintenance on other equipment, so I will definately get qualified to service my own stuff.
Kind of rules out the Titan as almost no one controls parts availability thru their dealers only more than Aqualung. And I believe you have to be shop sponsored to take their service course.

Not that you can't find parts but I always wonder how much is NOS.

You are a real candidate for Deep6 since self-service is part of their business model.

Darn good deal! ..just missing an SPG

No doubt, but you can find a used naked SPG for pretty cheap. If I were looking for a complete reg set I'd have bought it... Hell, might have bought all 3.

OP, forget the console SPG with a depth gauge. A wrist computer is all you need.

While it looks like a good price, there are a couple of issues for recreational divers. One is the 7 ft hose. I love the long hose and use one on every dive, but I use 5 ft in OW (no can light) and 7 ft in cave diving where single file air sharing is required. But 7ft in OW is not nearly as convenient as 5 ft. Knowing piranha they would probably swap the 7ft hoses for the 5ft hoses. Keep in mind that the OP almost certainly learned with the typical PADI hose routing and would have to switch the hoses completely or (much better idea IMO) use the modified hogarthian routing; 5ft primary, 22" alternate on a bungee necklace. Once you try that, you'll never go back.

The other is the DIN situation. If the DIN/yoke converter is a spin on adapter as it looks like in the link, and if the OP is planning on using yoke tanks, I would pass on the deal. Buying DIN regs when you are diving with yoke tanks is a mistake. But, I think someone else posted that the DIN/yoke converter included is an actual conversion kit, and if that's the case, perfect.

Piranha is a great store to buy from. So if they'll swap out the 7ft hose and confirm that the DIN fittings can be converted to yoke, or if the OP is one of the very few north american OW divers actually expecting DIN tanks, then its a good deal.

While it looks like a good price, there are a couple of issues for recreational divers. One is the 7 ft hose. I love the long hose and use one on every dive, but I use 5 ft in OW (no can light) and 7 ft in cave diving where single file air sharing is required. But 7ft in OW is not nearly as convenient as 5 ft. Knowing piranha they would probably swap the 7ft hoses for the 5ft hoses. Keep in mind that the OP almost certainly learned with the typical PADI hose routing and would have to switch the hoses completely or (much better idea IMO) use the modified hogarthian routing; 5ft primary, 22" alternate on a bungee necklace. Once you try that, you'll never go back.

The other is the DIN situation. If the DIN/yoke converter is a spin on adapter as it looks like in the link, and if the OP is planning on using yoke tanks, I would pass on the deal. Buying DIN regs when you are diving with yoke tanks is a mistake. But, I think someone else posted that the DIN/yoke converter included is an actual conversion kit, and if that's the case, perfect.

Piranha is a great store to buy from. So if they'll swap out the 7ft hose and confirm that the DIN fittings can be converted to yoke, or if the OP is one of the very few north american OW divers actually expecting DIN tanks, then its a good deal.

Agreed and knowing Randy, I'd be shocked if he wouldn't swap the 7 footer for a 5 or even a 40" hose. He sells 90 degree swivels pretty cheap so I'd add that too.

What's it going to take for everyone to convert to DIN??? Fortunately it's my understanding that rental fleet tanks are mostly being replaced with Pro valves.

Back
Top Bottom