New reg and stuff bought on line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottZeagle:
I realize that many people think this is a silly question, or something that is quite easy to do, but in my opinion, if you have to ask how to assemble it, you should have a professional do it.

Scott
And then make sure you understand what they did.

My wife and I got the same set-up but we got hers one week and after she dove with it and liked it we ordered mine. Hers came OK.

I got mine home and did a dry run and found that the rigging was all together different including the safe second (Octopus) being connected to one of the low flow ip ports as opposed to using both primaries. It was an easy correction, Ive been in the pneumatics industry for 25 years.

There are too many opinions and "other ways" in this sport. If you don't uinderstand it then you don't know it's right or right for you.

A wise engineer once told me," If you haven't found 2 ways to do something how do you know you chose the right one?"

Pete

Thanks for all the replies. I've been diving for 15 year's, and am pretty mechanically inclined (I'm a pilot for a living). I just haven't bought new equipment for some years, before the internet even existed. I did buy the BC from the local store, but I saved 300 + bucks on the reg set-up. I think I can safely do it. I have a pool, I think I'll set it up and try it out myself. Thanks for all the help.

Mark

dlndavid:
You have 100 - 200 dives and are asking a question like this? Did it come with instructions?

Yea, funny my old set-up is way old. Never really paid attention. A good friend of mine owned a shop and worked on my stuff for years. I just like to dive, never been a real gear freak. But, thanx for chastising me anyways ;-). BTW I bought the set-up form Leisure Pro, its all Mares (proton ice, proton octo, Morphos Pro BC) BC purchased at local store).

zaboAA:
Yea, funny my old set-up is way old. Never really paid attention. A good friend of mine owned a shop and worked on my stuff for years. I just like to dive, never been a real gear freak. But, thanx for chastising me anyways ;-). BTW I bought the set-up form Leisure Pro, its all Mares (proton ice, proton octo, Morphos Pro BC) BC purchased at local store).

Unless your old set up was a double hose regulator, the new stuff should be connected the same.

The counsole as you call it, hopefuly has and SPG in it. Any thoughts where that SPG should go?

You don't need to be a gear freak to figure a few hoses that have threaded thingies at the end and a chunk of metal with threaded holes.

If all that "gear talk" is too complicated go to your dive shop.... oh yes, don't foget to mention you bought that stuff on-line.

Ana:
Unless your old set up was a double hose regulator, the new stuff should be connected the same.

The counsole as you call it, hopefuly has and SPG in it. Any thoughts where that SPG should go?

You don't need to be a gear freak to figure a few hoses that have threaded thingies at the end and a chunk of metal with threaded holes.

If all that "gear talk" is too complicated go to your dive shop.... oh yes, don't foget to mention you bought that stuff on-line.
I'll have some fava beans with my condescension :eyebrow:

Ana is right... IMO if you really have to ask on the internet how to do this, you're much better off and much safer stopping into your local shop to ask them to show you how. Now, if you bought the reg setup online to save a few bucks, planning to get your instruction from the internet, and bypassing your LDS entirely... good luck :wink:

(Ana, be nice :wink:)

zaboAA:
Mail ordered a reg, octo, counsole, and BC. The reg is a proton ice. Do I just screw the stuff in the first stage or is there any kind of seal I have to put on it etc.... Also, there are two HP holes on the first stage, does anything go in those? Help appreciated.

Thanx
Mark

Mark, i'm a little surprised that it did not come assembled. Have you called the mail-order house and asked them ?

I'm sure if you bring it to the local dive shop in your area (dallas has a lot) they will be happy to set it up for you. Even if they have nominal charge for doing so it would be worth it.

Cheers

ScottZeagle:
I realize that many people think this is a silly question, or something that is quite easy to do, but in my opinion, if you have to ask how to assemble it, you should have a professional do it.

How are you to learn if you don't ask? Who did you ask the first time? If you give me a fish I will eat today, If you teach me to fish I eat for life.

Do it yourself (internet school) or LDS... But actually, there is a third, and IMO, better way. Find a dive group in your area and meet other divers. Then let those who really know, and know more than you, teach you what they know.

It doesn't cost anything except being friendly. Mentors don't care if you bought it online, at your LDS or from Andy's Garage Sale. They don't care about brand loyalty. They don't care if you just signed up for the dive shop trip to Coz.

If you need a shop, they'll tell you the good ones.

Then, besides what they tell you, watch what they do.

Rick Inman:
Do it yourself (internet school) or LDS... But actually, there is a third, and IMO, better way. Find a dive group in your area and meet other divers. Then let those who really know, and know more than you, teach you what they know.

It doesn't cost anything except being friendly. Mentors don't care if you bought it online, at your LDS or from Andy's Garage Sale. They don't care about brand loyalty. They don't care if you just signed up for the dive shop trip to Coz.

If you need a shop, they'll tell you the good ones.

Then, besides what they tell you, watch what they do.

Some of the best advice ever given on this forum....truer words were never spoken.

Firefyter:
Some of the best advice ever given on this forum....truer words were never spoken.

Thanks again for all the replies. I understand how to screw them into the first stage.
My old 1st stage didn't have the HP ports marked, so I wasn't sure which went into them (although I did figure the pressure gauge went in there), wasn't sure about the BC. My questions were mainly aimed at my concern about torque, lubrication etc... Looking back I guess my question sounded a bit juvenile (maybe it was the 2 glasses of wine I had drank before posting the question). BTW hooked it up last night, tried it in the pool this morning works 4.0. The Proton Ice is a nice breather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom