New reg advice needed: Scubapro/atomic/mares. If you would be so kind...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Optional factory-sealed first stage to prevent outside contamination such as silt and sand
Atomic Aquatics Z2 Regulator

Mine are sealed but they came that way. I mostly dive in the Caribbean - last service my Atomic dealer commented that the only reason he changed the parts was since he already had it all apart. IDK if being sealed had anything to do with that.

Also, I know that some regs are environmentally sealed to prevent ingress of silt, etc. Do any of the ones I listed fall into this category, and how necessary is it?
The Scubapro MK17 is environmentally sealed.

You do not have to get the XTX200 the XTX50 is a fine reg. But it may not be for you if you do not have anyone around you to service them.

The MK5/109 has only 2 LP ports and 1 HP port so it is really only good for a stage bottle unless you want to use port splitters. I like the MK17-G250 off the list. Check with "The Beav" maybe he can give you a better deal. I don't know much about Atomic, so can't help you there.

@ams511, thanks, I think that strikes the mk5/109 off of the the list. Another + vote for the mk17/g250v is good too
@epointer, thanks for the heads up on the XTX50, I like that you can switch it to the wide bubble dispersion exhaust, that is something that bugs me a bit with my alpha 8

Of the choices you have listed, Atomics is the best bet. One potential drawback is that Atomics are piston regs and not ideal for cold water environments. I have a Z2 and while it is the best breathing reg I have used the manufacturer wants me to take it back to the shop and have it filled with some kind of crytolube so that it wont freeze! I believe that for dives above 50 degrees there is nothing out there that is better than the Atomics. There may be regs that are close or the same but nothing superior. For colder waters there are better choices than Atomics.

Thanks for the tip, Captain Sinbad, I will keep it in mind, but I think monterey/channel islands is about 60 degree water so I may be okay

"@diverdorr68. Care to elaborate why you think the Z2 is the best (not disagreeing at all, I'm sure it is a great reg like all of these, just curious)"

Of the ones you mentioned I like the Z2 because IMO it breathes as good as the A700 and is cheaper. It is true that for very cold water you need to modify it, but the diving you mentioned would not require that. They require servicing only once every two years, although I would have mine serviced yearly all the same. Some people will say the additional year between servicing is a big advantage, but as a cautious diver I don't give it an edge for that.
I have 2 regulator sets, one here in the USA and one overseas. Both are Apeks. One a XTX50 and the other an XTX200, they are both superior regulators. But, after spending $800 for the XTX200 and later trying out a friends Z2, I was really kicking myself in the *ss. Personally I'm not one for looks, I want reliability and performance. So, the 'envied' ScubaPro line, great as they are, never got my interest.
Finally, there is no reason you can't mate up your Oceanic octo to the Atomic first stage. It is a fine octo and will perform well in the type of diving you mention.
Another great option for you, and in your price range is the Apeks XTX50. Leisurepro.com has them for sale for $399. Only thing, they are din version. If din is ok with you, it is an excellent choice. Good luck .

Being in Bay Area/Monterey area, Mare isn't really too popular. So go with Scubapro or Atomic. I tent to think Atomic gets more LDS support because one of the biggest LDS in SantaClara/SanJose area does NOT sanction Scubapro product. But if you are a vacation diver, Scubapro maybe a better choice due to worldwide support.

From performance point of view, I think they are all more than adaquate.

I see you said Mares isn't very popular in the bay area, but you do infact have a Mares Lab(shop that has a tech certified by mares) in santa cruz. so service shouldn't be an issue there. as far as scubapro goes the lack of a parts for life policy(unless you buy a comlete set with bc and computer) drives me away as scubapro kits are not cheap and if you are taking them in for service you are paying there price. i know the mares reg will do great in the cold water there as it does great in the great lakes.

@eelnoraa, do you mind saying which local Bay area LDS doesn't do scubapro

Diver Dan in Santa Clara does NOT sanction Scubapro. I was told that not only they don't sell nor service Scubapro, shop employees (instructor, AI, DM ..) are not allowed to use SP. I was told there is some story behind it, but obviously no one to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom