New Red Sea tragedy and everlasting stupid bargain of power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea Shadow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A new Red Sea tragedy took place in Hurghada. Several days ago, an Egyptian hyperbaric professional and his Danish buddy hired a guide to take them to 100 meters using a single air tank. The conclusion was that the guide ascended and the two divers didn't.

Red Sea Association began arranging the body salvaging process, and that's when the Chamber of Diving and Water Sports (CDWS) claimed that it's the responsible entity for that. CDWS sent one of its inspectors. He descended, panicked at 100 meters, shot himself immediately to the surface, and eventually died in El Gouna medical facility.

May God forgive them all. But the question now; when will this everlasting stupid bargain of power between CDWS and other entities (mainly the Egyptian Federation and Red Sea Association) come to an end?

This I heard from a friend while calling to greet for the new year:

About a week ago, an Egyptian hyperbaric physician and a Danish insta-buddy hired a guide to take them to 100 meters using a single air tank.:shakehead: End result was that the guide ascended and the two divers didn't.

I tried to lookup any news on the web but couldn't find any!

The Chamber of Diving and Water Sports (CDWS) "govt. organization" sent one of its inspectors. He descended, panicked (it seems) at 100 meters, bolted to the surface, only to die shortly in El Gouna (Hurghada suburb) medical facility.

I don't know what a "bargain of power" is or anything about the problems between the dive organizations there - or what either has to do with this. But you are right that diving to 100m on a single tank of air has got to be the stupidest thing I have eery heard of.

What was the big rush to get to 100 m without first acquiring twin tanks, deco bottles, and tech training? I missed that part of the story.

If the dive guide was simply interested in the fee and only himself getting back alive, with no regrets about his reputation afterwards, then I suppose it's a free world.

But I have to wonder why the rush in all this?

something like this usually gets press. Could it be an underwater urban myth?

nope, confirmed word of mouth

Here's some info of another dive professional in the Red Sea. I'll post it here although I'm not convinced by his point of view:

------------------------
The basic known facts are:

* It happened in Marsa Aalam
* 2 people attemted a very deep dive using single air tanks
* They tragically lost their lives
* there was a person who saw them going for the dive
* One of the deceased was a Hyperbaric doctor who was very well known and dearly loved by many people here. No hired dive guides involved
* Many people wanted to help of course as is the way in Egypt. But this was controled to avoid more deep single tank air diving
* Some well known technical divers were asked by the CDWS if they can do a Search to identify bodies
* No one was asked to attempt lifting a body as it WAS NOT a rescue mission
* Most did not take part in this. The families did not take this decision against anyone since they understand there are risks
* Osama identified a body at 110m, on the second day, and was thinking of going back the next day to retreive it. It was going to be his 3rd dive
* All Osama's dives were done on Trimix
* He had a tragic OOG situation.... he obviously shot to the surface.
* Osama found himself in the thick of things and he volunteered to do the job.... He was not "sent as an inspector". He was a courageous man who believed he was carrying out a great act of humanity!

Osama was contacted by phone IN FRONT OF ME by the Chairman and asked NOT TO attempt a recovery He decided to go and he suffered DCS after the dive and died in hospital later. His case was so horrible that even the chamber would not save him.

Opinions and personal conclusions:

In Egypt, things like this are thought out in a different way.
As far as Osama was concerned, he was following a path of Jihad and to die for this cause was well worth the risk to him.
His choice to dive solo was so not to carry guilt in case of another accident (he will be remembered for this courage too)

The choices he made that lead to his tragic death were wise choices, in his opinion.

The families, would prefer to remember Osama as their Hero who died trying to bring their sons home for burial.

I am certain that no one owes anyone any kind of grudge.

This was not the result of anything except the choices made by the people who are now gone.
------------------------

Alot of divers can do it, but it usually takes years to reach great depths in practice.

I can't comment on Red Sea politics, but I have heard four stories of people diving to 100m on air.

One was Gary Gentile, and he survived. One was Sheck Exley and he was survived. Both are (or were) famous and vastly experienced technical divers.

One was a pair of dive instructors in Cayman who tried to "bounce" to 100m and back for kicks. They were never seen again and the bodies were never recovered. This post is the fourth.

Unless you are a Gary Gentile or a Sheck Exley, don't do it.

I can't comment on Red Sea politics, but I have heard four stories of people diving to 100m on air.

One was Gary Gentile, and he survived. One was Sheck Exley and he was survived. Both are (or were) famous and vastly experienced technical divers.

One was a pair of dive instructors in Cayman who tried to "bounce" to 100m and back for kicks. They were never seen again and the bodies were never recovered. This post is the fourth.

Unless you are a Gary Gentile or a Sheck Exley, don't do it.

RhoneMan, don't forget Hal "Mr. Scuba" Watts. To my knowledge he holds the recognized record on deep air. 390 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom