New policy on lionfish in the park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ps- Rodive not for one second would I or did I ever even consider the argument that as you are Mexican you may not have the ability/character to solve this issue. As a matter of fact I resent that argument but I understand the statement. I have men that work for me who are not Caucasian and live in a country that supposed to be multicultural. They receive many hurtful comments from people that are ignorant about their abilities. If not for my men I would not be successful, they are treated that way. We have trained each other to be a well oiled machine. Not for a moment did I think your abilities where amiss. I sensed a situation that was about manipulation, I trust I was wrong. I believe you understand what I am trying to say. kevin

So currently who is not allowed to use them? Other than the park rules, which many seem to ignore (yourself as much as anyone if previous posts are to be used as an indication), what criteria can we use to say who is allowed and who is not? Is it to be decided by the diveshop, the DM, the individual diver? Just who gets to say who is allowed and who isn't, if not the Marine Park?

mjatakins, are you referring to the 45 lionfish killed statement that Kevin made? If so those kills were made outside the marine park.

mjatakins, are you referring to the 45 lionfish killed statement that Kevin made? If so those kills were made outside the marine park.

No, that's not specifically what I was referring to. I can't think of a specific example, but as someone who knows Kevin both personally and through scubaboard, I have it in my head that my statement is true. I certainly don't intend to misrepresent Kevin, and he has never struck me as someone who is shy about laying his cards on the table. So if I am wrong, and he has never hunted inside the park, I would happily accept his word on that.

So if I am wrong, and he has never hunted inside the park, I would happily accept his word on that.
Mathew, I have never said I haven't killed lion fish in the park. I am pretty sure I have said I have all along our discussions. I know it is against the 'rules' to hunt in the park. It is a very conscientious decision to do it. In doing this task of hunting lion fish I am as dedicated to preserving the reef as I am my life underwater. When we are in the park we remind each other to be careful. My statements arent meant to sway anyone or make my decision appear less wrong.
When I get back soon I will be reporting and taking my sling in to have it inspected and if needed go on a dive to prove my skill at producing and protecting.
I dont know if I conveyed that properly.

In numerous posts I've read many comments about taking a shot at a Lionfish, but accidentally hitting coral.

I started thinking about the size of the tip on the rig that I used to hunt Lionfish. It was a simple, thin (singular) rod with surgical rubber band attached. Quite effective, and because all of the parts were found "dumpster diving", it was free.

Anyway, both the rod diameter and tip were quite small. If I did miss, and there was coral behind the fish, there was a good chance that I would hit it.

How significant of an impact would this "miss" have on the reef? I have no doubt that a small area of coral would die, and that would be a travesty. Looking at the big picture, which would have a greater impact; allowing the Lionfish to proliferate, or the errant shot?

I find it somewhat ironic that, in light of all of the other ways in which the reef is subjected to destruction, being struck by a poorly place shot comes to the forefront.

We've all seen other divers basically standing upon, bumping into, using for stabilization, dropping things into.......the reef (and I'm sure that everyone has inadvertently done at least one of the above mentioned). I've witnessed dive boat crews, as well as fishermen drop anchor right on the reef. Heck, a few weeks ago I watched some National Geographic photographers standing on coral so they could get the perfect HD footage.

Might I humbly suggest that some, if not the lions share (pardon the pun) of the funds being sought, be put towards diver buoyancy proficiency, which to me appears to be more of a detriment to reefs than using a specific piece of equipment to hunt.

I understand that there are several issues surrounding the culling of Lionfish, and that I've somewhat strayed from the main topic.

My first ever shot at a Lionfish. One shot, one kill. No coral was harmed during the making of this photograph:D As I recall, the Lionfish was around 15kg, and had just swallowed a baby Dolphin whole.

Attachments

• IMG_6276.jpg
    IMG_6276.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 46
Mathew, I have never said I haven't killed lion fish in the park. I am pretty sure I have said I have all along our discussions. I know it is against the 'rules' to hunt in the park. It is a very conscientious decision to do it. In doing this task of hunting lion fish I am as dedicated to preserving the reef as I am my life underwater. When we are in the park we remind each other to be careful. My statements arent meant to sway anyone or make my decision appear less wrong.
When I get back soon I will be reporting and taking my sling in to have it inspected and if needed go on a dive to prove my skill at producing and protecting.
I dont know if I conveyed that properly.

Thanks for the clarification Kevin, I thought that was the case. When are you coming back? Or will I see you in Edmonton first?

Thanks for the clarification Kevin, I thought that was the case. When are you coming back? Or will I see you in Edmonton first?
Be back in June for sure, but this snow may drive me back sooner. Safe diving Matthew and good students to ya.

Be back in June for sure, but this snow may drive me back sooner. Safe diving Matthew and good students to ya.
It's snowing again in KC right now. I can't get the darn Christmas songs out of my head!!! :shocked2:

I just keep telling myself that only 4 weeks from now I'll be back in CZM! :D

I realize I am not an expert on diving or lionfish but, IMO what has been going on in Coz is working. I have been to Coz diving 6 times in the last couple of years including just getting back yesterday from 12 days of being there, and with that be said the numbers of Lionfish I saw were way down from the last couple of trips. Just for example we were on Columbia Shallows for a 96 minute dive and the 5 of us only saw 1 Lionfish.
I do agree anybody with a C-card should not be handed a spear and set free on the reef. As others have said I think still the biggest damage to the reef happens from people bumping, standing and grabbing it. I think after a diver has been diving there for an amount of time a DM should be able to let them hunt, just like a DM asses (at least should) ability before doing advanced dives and swim throughs. I was able to do a number of dives outside of the marine park and was able to hunt for the first time, lets just say most of these spears are very accurate if you have good buoyancy, and we eradicated a lot of lionfish. If you get the chance try Lionfish ceviche it is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom