New places to dive on 4th trip to Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard about Malapascua but I heard that they only have thresher sharks there *and* it is not a guarantee that you will see any thresher sharks either. So I figured Malapascua was *not* high on my list because of those factors.

Any I wrong about what I have heard?

Another possibility for the big stuff is ticao island in masbate. It is known for the manta rays which feed and get cleaned at a sight called manta bowl. Spent alot of time there in march through may and manta action was in abundance. there are also large schools of jacks, barracudas and sharks.

I have been on Malapascua for two weeks. Saw the Thresher sharks on first dive, six dives on Gato Island were great,Malangaman Island wall dive is just okay,Chocolate island so-so,great muck/macro diving in a few sights, Manta rays early evening at Shark Point. I have done all sites offered and ready for Bohol, Moalboal or Dumaguette.
Any info on a budget place to stay or a dive buddy to share expenses. Let me know!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I can tell you I have been to Moalboal twice already. The only thing to dive there over other places in the Philippines is Pescador Island with the sardine school. If you have not been to Pescador it is a MUST dive. I will be going again myself in Jan 2012. I did also go to Apo Island, frankly I was NOT impressed. I guess I missed it. I heard great things about Apo Island, but I really saw nothing special. Bohol is suppose to be great, so i am also headed there myself in Jan 2012.

Totally wrong really. Of course its not guaranteed you'll see anything - is it ever? But Malapascua also has fantastic macro life on top of the Threshers, Giant Mantas, Devil Rays, Eagle rays... We also have some of the best soft coral gardens around....

Is it likely that I will see thresher and giant manta rays in Malapascua, on a 5 day trip??

Does either Malapascua or Sogod have better site seeing around the area?

Is Malapascua a better dive loacation the Sogod?

The Pelagic manta ray is here but is unpredictable. It appeared yesterday morning. Right now the Threshers are really performing. Seeing them in the day time a lot too. Its rare that someone who goes to see them say 4 times does not have a satisfactory encounter.

Ive been to malapascua four times but unlike other people, my favorite dive spot in malapscua is actually gato island.
Sure you see the big stuff in monad shoal. But if you miss them its a fairly boring dive. Gato island on the other hand seems to have a bit of everything. Big whitetips that look more like grey reefs, bamboo sharks, many squid and cuttle fish, macro galore, scjooling makarel, turtles,sea snakes, a cave, currents,and.much more.
There is also the interesting night dives in lighthouse and lapus lapus.
Malapascua is definitely not a one trick pony and is definitely worth your time.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom