New places to dive on 4th trip to Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks.......rab1412000

seems like you really like malapascua, it is good to hear there are other things to do there besides thresher sharks. Has anyone been to Sogod and malapascua both and can compare the 2 dive locations as to which is better?

thanks.

I did also go to Apo Island, frankly I was NOT impressed. I guess I missed it. I heard great things about Apo Island, but I really saw nothing special. Bohol is suppose to be great, so i am also headed there myself in Jan 2012.

this is a great thread....I've also been to the Phils 8 times or so and am looking for a new spot to explore...its easy to just go back to one's favorite places...#1 has to be Balicasac off Bohol...Aug/Sept. was great, went again during Feb/March and it was too damn crowded...I had the same experience of Apo Island you mention, went all the way out there really didn't see much...not much fish life, just big expansive coral gardens, but did few days diving off Dauin where you hire the boat for Apo and that was great..saw lots of critters I've never seen before...and the nitelife in Dumaguette is fun enough too......Anyway.....Thanks for all the posts...Malpascua and Donsol sound more appealing now

@lifesabeach

i am going to Malpascua this coming trip and to Balicasag. i have heard alot of good things about Balicasag Island.

donsol is very relaxing i think. stay at the vitton hotel (stay in the new section across from the pool). i think there is little night life in donsol, so bring your girl with you. also go on the firefly trip while in donsol, it was alot cooler than i first thought.

not sure if you have been to verde island? but verde island is worth going to also. you get a day trip from PG/sabang, 3 hours south of manila. stay at asiadivers.com. night life is great in sabang.....

Totally wrong really. Of course its not guaranteed you'll see anything - is it ever? But Malapascua also has fantastic macro life on top of the Threshers, Giant Mantas, Devil Rays, Eagle rays... We also have some of the best soft coral gardens around....

Call me crazy but I've been to Malapascua 12 times. I've been going since 2003 and threshers are showing a lot more for the last three years than my earlier trips. I usually go May and/or November when things are on the slower side and airfare is a little cheaper from the U.S.

I couldn't agree more with Matt's statement above. In fact I spent a whole dive on Monad one afternoon trying to get a decent shot of a mushroom coral pipefish instead of NOT seeing a manta ray;-) Not sure which experience was more frustrating - only those who have attempted to photograph one of these critters (pipefish) would know. There is enough life on Monad that I would dive it any time as long as you were free to rome around looking for macro critters.

My favorite places in the Philippines for diving - Malpascua, Alona Beach Panglao (including Balicasag), Dauin and Apo Island. I would recommend diving while staying on Apo Island for one trip - only then will you be able to dive all around the island for some great photo ops - dive every night dive you can - eels. Malapascua - Monad, Gato, Chocolate (variable) and Bantigi (night macro). Alona Beach - awesome eels - just full of them. Dauin - only been once but want to go back - good sand bottom stuff - snake eels, stargazers - similar environment to Lembeh, I've been told.

I am going to be in Philippines in January 2012 for about 3 weeks. I am planning to go to Moalboal for the 3rd time. Then to 2 new places, Malpascua and to Alona Beach to dive Balicasag Island.

Sounds like from all the replies, I should have a great time.

@lifesabeach

not sure if you have been to verde island? but verde island is worth going to also. you get a day trip from PG/sabang, 3 hours south of manila. stay at asiadivers.com. night life is great in sabang.....

Agree completely on Verde Island...great dive and very wild out there...asiadivers is my favorite outfit too...they have a fast boat now that gets you out to Verde in 30 minutes or so......

I have not been on their new boats yet. I have staying at asiadivers.com twice now, 2 different trips. so i am trying to dive other locations besides PG right now.

that is why i am finding new great places to go to like Malpascua and to Alona Beach to dive Balicasag Island.

have fun...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom