New Philippines International Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

State of the art? Not the terminal, or at least when I flew there a couple years ago to go to Subic. Immigration line was ridiculous with 2 planes arriving at the same time. Counter people almost wouldn't allow me to take my reg on as carry on as they thought it could be used as a weapon..

I was talking about the electronics and runway.....the guts need some fixin' up yes. The US Government built that runway to handle combat loaded B-52's and C-5's....so, it is pretty capable of handling the Boeing aircaraft and the Boeing knock-offs.

The article mentions closure of NAIA #1 will be dependent on opening of NAIA #3 for international flights. I know the powers that be have been wanting to open up Clark to international flights for a while, so I think this does not mean ending international flights into Manila, but simply adding another option for those that are interested in getting to the attractions around Subic, Angeles, etc? So that will not really affect passengers looking for domestic connections, and I expect if and when Clark opens up to regular international flights, also some popular domestic connections will also be available.

As far as NAIA #3, wasn't that supposed to be finished 3 or 4 years ago? Every year I look forward to seeing the new terminal, and every year it is delayed for another...I do find it amusing that while the original "new premier international terminal" of NIAA #3 sits in perpetual limbo, now they focus on the "new premier international terminal" at Clark.

I agree Kupu, but the article says it plans to close down terminal 1, not offset the flights. It's still a convenient entry point into the PI. Plus the multimillion dollar highway directly from the SLEX to NAIA is just being completed.

This will mean a major shift in domestic flight routes too. Too bad I'll be affected (as well as all the city people) in a negative way if they close down terminal 1.

@ pak: I don't know who to believe now - the government says the contractors skimmed on costs (over-charged, under-delivered) so they want to pay less.

Aren't they waiting in an international court to settle this?

it was the project from June 2000 to Nov 2002. 98% was completed in 2002... then the Gov. didn't want to pay........so the contructor left... then later the ceiling corrupted..... 5 years! the penalty for the delay was $198,000/DAY!!?????

the question is WHY is it taking so long........ why are they finding ways to prevent its utilization ......

at any rate they should open up other airports closer to destinations for tourist.

i think the allegations were that the contractors paid huge bribes and scrimped on the construction. thats why its falling apart even before its opened. they need to make sure its safe so they will probably bid off a new contract to rehab the unused terminal. that way, the incumbents get a piece of the action-same as those who approved the construction years ago.

weren't the contractors Japanese... :mooner:

yup.... but the project like this size, there should be several sub-contractors who have to do all the dirty jobs! :no

BTW, when the highways between Manila and Batangas will be directly connected?????????

yup.... but the project like this size, there should have several sub-contractors who have to do all the dirty jobs! :no

BTW, when the highways between Manila and Batangas will be directly connected?????????
don't hold your breath...

HUD masks will be affordable sooner than that happening...

too bad too, i heard Ayala Land donated a large tract of dirt where the hiway will cross...

Jag

I agree Kupu, but the article says it plans to close down terminal 1, not offset the flights. It's still a convenient entry point into the PI. Plus the multimillion dollar highway directly from the SLEX to NAIA is just being completed.

This will mean a major shift in domestic flight routes too. Too bad I'll be affected (as well as all the city people) in a negative way if they close down terminal 1.

Where is terminal 3 located? I was assuming it was also in the Paranaque vicinity, making the change to terminal 3 not such a big deal. But maybe I assumed wrong? If it actually much further away from the domestic terminals and the city then I can see your point...

Back
Top Bottom