New Philippines International Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is terminal 3 located? I was assuming it was also in the Paranaque vicinity, making the change to terminal 3 not such a big deal. But maybe I assumed wrong? If it actually much further away from the domestic terminals and the city then I can see your point...
It's located closer to the domestic airport (in between T2 and domestic but on the other side of the runway). The current plan is to make Clark's airport the number 1 airport over terminal 3 or terminal 1.

There'll still be flights to manila, but if Clark is the number one airport that means less frequency to Manila which, I assume, will mean an increased cost in tickets and lower availability of seats getting into terminal 3.

I think the biggest thing that they'll have to think about is the domestic flight links from clark. They'll need to allot more money to build a new domestic airport up there, instead of the current plan to make T2 the domestic airport.

If they planned to revamp clark to be another major port of entry like cebu airport (which I assumed you meant), that to me would be smarter than what they are trying to do.

To me it doesn't make sense. Smells very political to me. Maybe the current state of the governement has made me too cynical.

My assumption was that the Clark upgrade would not (could not) replace NAIA as the major international hub, but only upgrade Clark for those interested in quickly getting in and out of AC and Subic. To move most NAIA traffic to Clark (like everybody has been saying in this thread) boggles my mind, really it makes no sense. I guess thats why was being dense as to what this thread is about, along with all the govt talk of replacing NAIA 1 with NAIA 3 for all these years.

After rereading the article, the unforunate truth sets in...

you know, I've been thinking about this and how it could be feasible.

Currently NAIA only has one runway, which can only handle 13 million passengers a year. That's terrible for tourism. I don't think there's any room to expand and add a second runway, so maybe moving to a new location with a large open area such as Clark is a good idea.

I'd reckon HK Airport is just as far from HK central as Manila is to Clark. If they could build a high speed train like they have in Hong Kong, the commute would be acceptable. Once again, the problem is cost, but it may be beneficial in the long run.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

I do think that Manila needs a new airport, though I do not favour Clarke. NAIA is simply past its usefulness, it is crappy, an eyesore and a disgrace to the beautiful Philippines and its people. Regardless of whose pockets get lined by a new airport, a new international airport will do a whole world of good to boost tourism in the Philippines and its image around the world.

And I am saying this as a foreigner who has travelled in and out of NAIA quite a few times in recent years as well as Clarke.

Chip,
High Speed Rail? That's the new 2 in 1 program.. High speed rail and housing project all in one
:lol:
lol! haha, a classic example of Philippine ingenuity and resourcefulness. Coming in to the city from the North would be hassles so maybe a tunnel or raised structure (like the LRT/MRT) would be better.

you know, I've been thinking about this and how it could be feasible.

Currently NAIA only has one runway, which can only handle 13 million passengers a year. That's terrible for tourism. I don't think there's any room to expand and add a second runway, so maybe moving to a new location with a large open area such as Clark is a good idea.

I'd reckon HK Airport is just as far from HK central as Manila is to Clark. If they could build a high speed train like they have in Hong Kong, the commute would be acceptable. Once again, the problem is cost, but it may be beneficial in the long run.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

You're right on this one chip. NAIA is getting really congested and a decent international airport needs at least 2 runways. As far as NAIA is concerned, there just isn't enough place to add another runway. Using Clark would be the easiest solution coz you got alot of open space and it already has 2 existing runways that can handle the Airbus A380. Its going to take years before this happens though (think terminal3). The fast train theory makes sense. Just like HK where you can check-in at HKIA express stations in the city. Well, hopefully they make something like that.

dennis

There are some new terminals slated to go up at Clark, I think they may have started already but I've been talking to people at DOTC, CIAC and MIAA for a new project and they all say there has been no formal decision, read: they haven't gotten any pieces of paper saying this is really happening. Clarks runways are 3 1/2 kms although one will have to be widened. They plan to add another 1/2 km to them to allow the next generation of aircraft like the A380 land.

One of the top guys from DOTC told me that all deficiencies in Philippine Aviation Infrastructure that lead to the downgrade will be addressed in the next 3 months. Hmmm....

omg, it's a dennis sock puppet...

:joke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom