NEW PARKING LAWS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado

Contributor
Reaction score
The “Brain Trust” in charge of the Cozumel parking laws and enforcement have changed their minds again. Forget all the other rigmarole that they said before about parking rules on Avenida Melgar (the Malecon); now they have come up with a new set of laws.

1. NO PARKING (except for taxis, in their designated sitios) on the ocean side of the avenue before 5PM. They forgot to say at what time in the morning this parking prohibition starts. I am sure they will issue a new ruling sometime after the confusion begins.

2. NO CAR PARKING in the laybys (bahías) or spaces next to WHITE curbs (i.e.; all them) that are cut into the sidewalk on the right in ANY of the following calles: 7, 5, 3, 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10. This new rule applies to ALL the laybys on Av. 5 as well. All these laybys are now reserved for MOTORCYCLES ONLY. Looks like they forgot to list Salas, but again, they will probably change all of this anyway. Plus, it looks like they forgot to make any provision for freight deliveries or pick-ups/drop-offs along these streets, so I guess there will be a lot of beer, water, and snack delivery trucks blocking the roads in the future.

3. The curbs marked in YELLOW on the Malecon are for PICK-UP AND DROP-OFF ONLY. No parking anytime, neither cars nor motos.

4. The YELLOW curbs adjacent to each corner on the Malecon (not to be confused with all the other yellow curbs on the Malecon) are NO PARKING ANYTIME. I guess they couldn’t find any red paint.

5. The curbs painted WHITE on the Malecon (not to be confused with the white curbs in the laybys, which are “no car parking, motos only”) are for CAR PARKING ONLY. NO MOTOS ALLOWED.

6. Curbs painted BLUE on the Malecon are permit-only handicapped parking. Only DIF gives out the permits.

Good luck!

Must have taxi mafia lobbyist....

Used to be the Secretary General of the Sindicato. Not anymore. Now he is in charge of APIQROO.

What makes you think the Taxi union has anything to do with the new parking laws?

I think the mayors brother runs the taxi union.
Probably also sells curb paint

Used to be the Secretary General of the Sindicato. Not anymore. Now he is in charge of APIQROO.

What makes you think the Taxi union has anything to do with the new parking laws?
Guess the mayor needed to give her brother another job after he pilfered a lot of money from the union. Wonder what govt job she will give her brother Bernie? She has limited time to enrich her family
Looking at where taxis are allowed to be the only ones allowed to park on waterfront is pretty obvious they had some say in new law.

Guess the mayor needed to give her brother another job after he pilfered a lot of money from the union. Wonder what govt job she will give her brother Bernie? She has limited time to enrich her family
Looking at where taxis are allowed to be the only ones allowed to park on waterfront is pretty obvious they had some say in new law.

Also by making it more difficult to park it encourages that rare tourists with cars to call a taxi.

I am guessing that by not allowing motos to park on the Malecon anymore (if that will be enforced, as they say) the spaces freed up for cars will make up the difference for no parking on the water side of the Malecon. Time will tell. The taxis have the same sitios and the amount of parking as they always have. That didn't change.

I am guessing that by not allowing motos to park on the Malecon anymore (if that will be enforced, as they say) the spaces freed up for cars will make up the difference for no parking on the water side of the Malecon. Time will tell. The taxis have the same sitios and the amount of parking as they always have. That didn't change.
Does this change at night? Motos allowed on Melgar after some hour? I see them towing motos but it was a daytime photo - I parked on Melgar in front of Thirsty Cougar and wondered...............

The whole pinche thing makes zero sense - why the outrage against motos, 75% of the population only has a moto and parking is limited everywhere....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom