New OW Diver looking to decide between Horizon vs Rainbow Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tardistraveler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I got my OW certification done recently in a quarry in the north east. I am planning a quick solo diving trip to Key Largo later November.
I short listed Horizon Divers and Rainbow Reef based on these

- would like a group guide preferably with a 1:6 guide to divers ratio or less. Not looking for individual attention but would be comfortable that there is a guide who’d be there for emergencies

- looking to dive 2 separate days or 2-tank dives. So total of 4 dives in 2 days. Understand that the options are limited to shallow reefs. Would like some variation across the 4 dives.

I am inclined towards Horizon because from what I read their groups are smaller than RR and their guides are perhaps more experienced than RR.

But Horizon doesn’t have set dives on schedule unlike RR and all their dives say Captain’s choice. I don’t want the dive from day 1 pm and day 2 am to be the same. Ideally, I would like to dive some reeds and a shallow wreck like Benwood. On the phone, Horizon Divers mentioned that the dives are chosen based on conditions by the Captain and are typically not repeated but there is no guarantee.

Appreciate any feedback on RR vs Horizon for my situation. Also open to hearing about other operators that do guided trips.

Thank you!

Both shops are great- the guides are solid and either will give great service. If the definitive issue is dive site selection, RR is the more useful operator, as the charters are to specific sites at the times/days indicated (absent weather anomalies).

Otherwise- both operators are A+.

RR has a published schedule as you know. Given the limited number of dives you'll be doing and your wish to not repeat a site which is understandable, then RR is the better choice of the two.

That much being said, those are not the only 2 dive charters in the area.

I prefer Conch Republic divers. It's a much smaller operation and you won't be in large groups of divers. They will most likely accommodate your request to not repeat a dive site, I suggest you give them a call. I've dived with them many times but as I do my own thing especially on wrecks that requires literally no navigation skills, I don't know what their dive guide policy is.

I have been out with Horizon, Rainbow Reef, and Conch Republic. Horizon and Conch Rep are the two I like to use in that area. While a calendar might say, "Capt Choice," it typically means they pick based on conditions and what people have been diving lately. If you have the same guide both days, which is preferable, then they will also mention to the Captain where they have already been with you so as not to repeat. This past summer, I called CR and requested specific sites for specific dates. It was far enough out and nothing specific had been scheduled so they just changed "Capt's Choice" to the site I asked for.

Give them a call, tell them what you want to do and see what they say. Since diving is weather dependent, be prepared for things to change based on conditions.

Have fun on your first OW trip and get your fill of Cuban sandwiches while there!

I have had extremely good experiences with Rainbow Reef. I have done reefs, wrecks and night dives with them. Just let them know what your concerns and wishes are and they will hook you up. I also use Islamorada Diving Center, but it's a little farther south.

Thanks for your responses.

Reg conch republic - I looked into them and got spooked by this disclaimer in their site “Here at Conch Republic Divers, we pride ourselves on letting divers dive. Therefore we do not do provide a Divemaster in the water. You may request a private guide prior to the trip date should you want one.”

Their guide cost is $60 as they don’t assign a group guide. With Horizon, the cost is $25 pp and only increases to $40 when no one else wants a guide (which I was told is unlikely). I am getting the overall impression that CR would be chosen by people who don’t need a guide :)

Nevertheless I’ll call them as they are the only operator that have a customer’s choice (first caller gets to choose the place). They also have the drift dive option which I think might be a fun experience.

I have had extremely good experiences with Rainbow Reef. I have done reefs, wrecks and night dives with them. Just let them know what your concerns and wishes are and they will hook you up. I also use Islamorada Diving Center, but it's a little farther south.

Is your experience with RR recent ? Asking because most of the negative experiences online seem to be from the last couple years.

As some of you know I occasionally drive boats for RR. I spent all summer this year driving for them. The customer service that RR has always provided has not changed IMO.

As always and with all shops there are exceptions.

Guides are free as always.

As some of you know I occasionally drive boats for RR. I spent all summer this year driving for them. The customer service that RR has always provided has not changed IMO.

As always and with all shops there are exceptions.

Guides are free as always.
Thank you. There are some critical reviews from advanced divers which I am not concerned about. I read that the DMs/guides were interns/more on the younger side. it’s my first dive after certification and I am hoping the guide will lookout for those who fall behind and generally keep an eye out if there are unexpected issues. I am confident with my abilities now but it took a while to figure out some skills during training. Can you share your perspective on the guides at RR?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom