New or used

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was in my LDS last weekend. I asked about tank prices, and the guy pointed out 3 tanks next to a pile of gear. He said that it was abunch of used gear that came in. I was interested in one of the tanks. It came from a friend of the guys wife. His friend had passed away a few years ago and his wife is getting rid of his gear. The tank was not for sale yet because it was about to go out to be tested. When it comes back in it will be $100. A decent savings over a new tank.

Basically I am wondering if I should buy this or spring for a new tank. Will a new tank last allot longer than a used tank? How long does a tank last anyway?

mfalco:
Aluminimum 80

What is the date of manufacture for the tank?
When was the last time it had a hydro?
When was the last time it had a Visual Inspection?
How is the external appearance of the tank? Does it look like it has taken a beating or does it look like new?

ronbeau:
What is the date of manufacture for the tank?
When was the last time it had a hydro?
When was the last time it had a Visual Inspection?
How is the external appearance of the tank? Does it look like it has taken a beating or does it look like new?

In order

I don't know
It's getting one this week
It's getting one this week
Good, paint isn't very scratched up

Depending on the condition, the used tank deal is always sweet.

$100 ??????

$134.95 new at Scubatoys, and I'm betting that shipping won't be that much more than taxes at the LDS. A little more maybe, but you would have a new tank for it:

Scubatoys AL80 Tanks

Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer the extra life on the tank over a few dollars savings.

If the tank passes hydro and vis, appears in good cosmetic condition, and the valve is good then I would opt for the used tank. Cylinders are manufactured to last more cycles (fills) than you or I would put in one over a lifetime. Even buying one from Scubatoys gets pricy after adding in the shipping. A cylinder is something that is usually cheaper overall to buy at home. You can see if the guy will throw in a few free fills as well.

Just make sure it's not a pre 90's tank that is made from the T6351 aluminum as a lot of shops will not fill those... us included.

Also keep in mind when buying an older tank, you are also getting an older valve... make sure that seems to be in good condition as well.

Another factor, the hydro cost is about $25 here. So, I also count the remaining year to the next hydro. $5/year...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom