NEW Oceanic OceanLog PC Interface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Oceanic 250 but ended up buying a Reefnet Sensus Ultra for data collection. It was annoying having to spend the extra $175 for the unit+docking station+serial/USB adaptor, but still cheaper than paying for the Oceanic cable in addtion to VirtualPC for my Mac. Suffice it to say I'm more inclined to support Reefnet in the future than Oceanic.

rongoodman:
I have an Oceanic 250 but ended up buying a Reefnet Sensus Ultra for data collection. It was annoying having to spend the extra $175 for the unit+docking station+serial/USB adaptor, but still cheaper than paying for the Oceanic cable in addtion to VirtualPC for my Mac. Suffice it to say I'm more inclined to support Reefnet in the future than Oceanic.

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed. Given the situation if you like we can extend the 30 day cust. satisfaction guarantee if you wish to return the Veo 250. Microsoft has both Virtual PC 2004 and 2007 (Vista Capable) free for download.

Best,

Chris

cerich:
I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed. Given the situation if you like we can extend the 30 day cust. satisfaction guarantee if you wish to return the Veo 250. Microsoft has both Virtual PC 2004 and 2007 (Vista Capable) free for download.
I do not wish to diminish your generous offer in any way, but I should point out that while it is news to me that VPC is free, the cost of the operating system that must be installed for VPC to be of any use is still substantial.

And that said, where do you find this free VPC software? I just checked the MS website and it shows the standalone (cheapest, but no OS included) version still with MSRP of $129. See: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=howtobuy

If there is a [legal] free version somewhere, I'd love to know how to get it. :)

CompuDude:
And that said, where do you find this free VPC software? I just checked the MS website and it shows the standalone (cheapest, but no OS included) version still with MSRP of $129. See: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=howtobuy

If there is a [legal] free version somewhere, I'd love to know how to get it. :)

The FREE virtual PC can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

and as for the OS, I am sure that you can "borrow" (wink-wink) a CD from someone for an evaluation :D

cerich:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

Little better link.

I can understand the frustration tha we don't have our software in Mac, we would love to trust us!
What can we do to make you happy?
Thanks for the link. :) Bizarre that MS's Mactopia site still directs to the older information! As I said, however, the OS that runs on VPC still is not free, however... "eval" versions aside. :wink: (of which I have plenty, but OS is one instance where I am more careful... and professionally, I can't recommend such a course to a client)

Personally, I have both macs and PCs, and support clients on both platforms. But I prefer to move more onto the Mac side when the software is available, and when Mac-only clients ask for recommendations I have to consider their options, as well.

I quite like Oceanic, and think they make a high quality product, and in most cases do not hesitate to recommend Oceanic gear. This is an area of frustration, however, in some instances.

Oops. Spoke to soon. Just checked the link more carefully.

The free Virtual PC software is the WINDOWS version of VPC. It enables processor virtualization for Windows systems. NOT Mac software. The Mac version still costs.

Virtual PC 2004 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is a powerful software virtualization solution that allows you to run multiple PC-based operating systems simultaneously on one workstation, providing a safety net to maintain compatibility with legacy applications while you migrate to a new operating system. It also saves reconfiguration time, so your support, development, and training staff can work more efficiently.

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 Systems Requirements

Virtual PC 2004 SP1 runs on: Windows 2000 Professional SP4, Windows XP Professional or later, and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition or later.

(I'll note that Parallels Desktop for Mac is a great option that is cheaper, and dare I say, better, than VPC, and might get the job done just as well. The OS you must install to it is still the same price, however.)

Back
Top Bottom