New Notebook... Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier:
Dell has been very price competitive, but not anymore.

Ahh, different strokes for different folks (no, that is not a DIR reference)

The #1 feature I like about the dells is the customizability of the systems. I like being able to pick exactly what I want, verses what some geeky engineer thinks I need.

As for the comments on unwanted software, I've never received a dell with any trialware or programs that I did not request.

Hoosier:
In addition, I have one question. Is it possible to downgrade OS from Vista to XP on the new notebook? The new one comes with Vista, but I don't want to use it.
Is there any compatibility issue, such as driver....?

Easy:

1) Insert XP disk
2) Restart computer, boot from CD
3) Using the menus, format the hard drive, install xp, and you're good.

Downside is anything that comes pre-installed will be lost (unless your laptop comes with the install disks). AFAIK, when installing vista you can get it to "carry forward" programs you installed under XP, but not vice versa.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone'll be along to correct me :lotsalove:

Bryan

JahJahwarrior:
The usefulness of macs can be highly limited depending on what kinds of software you need. A lot of business management programs, scientific software, and other technical pieces of software are not made in mac versions. Same with games (I don't play games, so I don't care, but a lot of people do).

Don't get me wrong - I recommend macs to a lot of people - especially to those who aren't too familiar with computers. But while macs are easy(er) to use and good for home use, when it comes to business & technical use they fall short.

JahJahwarrior:
I cannot stand trialware
From my point of view, the whole "ilife" thing is an irritating piece of trialware, or whatever you want to call it. My main use for computers is technical - why mac seems to think that I absolutely must be able to author DVD's and slideshows is beyond me. And that they make it next-to-impossible to remove from the computer is the biggest headache yet. Plus mac charges you up the wazoo for it - after all, that's about the only thing unique to the mac, and yet they cost significantly more then equivalent-featured PCs.

JahJahwarrior:
I have fallen in love with OS X
I find it frustrating. Its based on linux, it looks like linux, hell - they ripped of some of the better ideas that linux users came up with (like the spinny box desktop thing), but it just isn't linux. There is a lot of things you should be able to do that you just can't.

Once again, no biggie for the home user, pretty big deal if you're more into the technical side of things. Huge deal if you're trying to run some of the gene sequencing and protein modeling programs that make up part of my day-to-day job...

Bryan

Warthaug:
Easy:

1) Insert XP disk
2) Restart computer, boot from CD
3) Using the menus, format the hard drive, install xp, and you're good.

Downside is anything that comes pre-installed will be lost (unless your laptop comes with the install disks). AFAIK, when installing vista you can get it to "carry forward" programs you installed under XP, but not vice versa.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone'll be along to correct me :lotsalove:

Bryan

Great...

I have a highest version (I think, "Ultimate") of Vista from the office, but I plan to wait for using it until MS's bug fix.

I never used a pre-install program and alwasy format and re-install everything wiht my own SW. :wink:

Warthaug:
A lot of business management programs, scientific software, and other technical pieces of software are not made in mac versions. Same with games (I don't play games, so I don't care, but a lot of people do).

Bryan

Exactly, that is the reason why I had to go with PC from Powerbook. Even, it was PITA to exchange MS file between Mac and PC a long time ago...

You all bring up good points about the downsides of Mac. I agree somewhat. Most software designers seem to serve Microsoft, and many programs aren't made for Macs. But, you can easily run XP on a mac. Yes, you have to purchase XP, but it can be done and most people who need to use a PC-only program do this, rather than face the horror of PC. :)

As for iLife being superflous, I remind you that PC comes with a video software as well, just it's freaking useless. iLife actually works. Being able to make slideshows is very nice and useful, especially for a businessman. You have to be able to speak well and with visual aids, and when it comes to visual aids, Mac does just as well, if not better than, PC's.

Especially for grpahics and video, it seems to me that most people seem to use Final Cut Pro HD, or Avid. (Avid is PC, I think.....I use FCP:) ) Indeed, straight off the bat, without paying a few hundred for any other software, Mac is set up and ready to make you a video or manage your photos.

And one of the reasons I have decided to never give Mr. Gates any money again is, well, my computer blew up. When I got it running again, they pretty much refused to let me reinstall XP with the old numbers, I spent hours and hours with tech support but basically I had to go and buy the software again. Upon loading this software, I discovered that I couldn't even watch a dvd! I was expected to pay another $15 for codecs to watch a dvd! Forget that. I consider being able to make and watch dvd's on a computer quite imperative. Of course, I'm not using my computer as a server, I'm editing student videos on it. So to get an OS from PC that doesn't even let me watch a dvd, even after paying for the OS when I already owned it, but couldn't install it becuase they thought it was pirated, well that's pointless, and Mr. Gates has lost all of my business.

And yes, it is based on Linux. I like it. Sometime soon i am going to load Ubuntu Linux on my PC and throw away my XP install disks. My advice to you: buy the laptop you want, then load Linux on it, rather than XP. Sure, it'll be difficult because there will be software incompatibility at times, but I would do anything to avoid giving Mr. Gates another red cent, even if Macs are "overpriced." :)

Hoosier--google "Mac Rumors Forum." The Marketplace there is where you could unload the old Apple stuff, lots of people there collect it or would use it for parts :)

JahJahwarrior:
Hoosier--google "Mac Rumors Forum." The Marketplace there is where you could unload the old Apple stuff, lots of people there collect it or would use it for parts :)

Another great info... I will check it out....

As for the PC on the Mac, I was told the same story. Mac doesn't use a Virtual PC anymore. It would be a good move...

BTW, I ordered Lenovo 3000 V200 last night...:D

Hoosier:
I have a highest version (I think, "Ultimate") of Vista from the office, but I plan to wait for using it until MS's bug fix.

While I personally have been unhappy with Vista (in my case, "Home Premium"), my suggestion is to at least try it out first before going through the rather drastic step of reformatting and reinstalling the OS, unless you already know that Vista is going to cause hardware and/or software incompatibility issues in your particular circumstance. If it does work to your satisfaction at least you've saved yourself some $$$ in buying a copy of XP.

(knock on particleboard) I've managed to get my Vista computer to be at least stable for the time being.

Thanks for your concern, but I re-install everything no matter what computers I bought. I can access all version of MS OSs including Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 Professional version, so actually, there is no additional cost to me..

As soon as I get the computer, I will install XP after formating everything. Let's see how it goes... :)

I gotta buy a laptop this weekend...Leaning towards a mac laptop...Just dunno which to get, the macbook or the pro...any opinions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom