New Notebook... Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
My 5 years old laptop is just retired today. Suddenly, the keyboard acted weird and I thought it was due to the virus, but nothing has been solved even after formatting the hard disk and updating BIOS. I think it is a hardware issue.. Recently, I replaced a stock 5400 rpm hard disk with the brand new 7200rpm speed one, so it might generate an excessive heat inside.

Anyway, I was supposed to replace my retiring laptop when the new chip (true 64bit) is coming out, but it doesn't look like that I can't wait for it any longer.

I am looking for an ultra portable size (about less than 4.5lb, < 14 inch screen and < $2k budget). I want to spend more money on scuba... LOL~~~~

There are a couple of choice in the market based on my quick research today:

1. Lenovo 3000 V200: Former IBM brand, but I am not sure after being sold to Chinese..

2. Toshiba Satellite U205-S5057: I was told a little bit bulky...

3, Dell XPS M1330 --- I have bought five Dell computers and all office computers are Dell. So, I am a little bit reluctant to take another Dell though.. Dell is alwasy tempting me...

Any experts from SB. I need to order it by today...

Thanks in advance,

Man, they are all old junk.....

If the dells work for you, why balk at buying another? We use dells near-exclusively here at work, and they've made a good impression on me. As such I've bought nearly all of my computers over the apt 5 years from them. The only exception is my new desktop - I built that up myself, as I wanted a small form factor PC (which dell doesn't offer; hint, hint), and I wanted to ensure linux compatibility (which I've had some probs with on some of the older dell systems).

Bryan

Sony Vaio, baby!

Macbook! Are you very stubbornly PC-Only? If not, I'd really suggest a MB or a MBP. The MB is very thin (around an inch thick), has a 13" widescreen screen and is pretty lightweight. It doesn't have PCMIA slots, if that's something you need, the MBP has that but not the MB.

Let me put it this way: I've used a PC for the last 8 years, a desktop. I got a macbook as a birthday and graduation present. The PC has only been used, since then, for photo storage (a program I used was PC only) and video editing (same deal, PC only video editing software, Sony Vegas to be exact. I hate Sony. You'd have to pay me to buy Sony nowadays.) I have fallen in love with OS X.

As for dells, I cannot stand trialware. Every Dell I've ever seen or used has tons of trial ware. If you buy Dell, wipe the drive clean and rreinstall windows.

But really, skip all that and buy a sleek, sexy macbook!

I just got a macbook, my first mac, and I love it. Besides who wants to deal with Vista?

I'm with Bryan on the Dell. I'm typing this on my 5th Dell computer, a Latitude D520 notebook. Intel Core 2 Duo processor, CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Windows XP.

I went with this instead of the Inspiron series as it's the last of the Dell notebooks that is still available with the standard aspect (4:3) screen rather than the widescreen. Widescreen is great if you like to watch DVD's a lot, but as most websites are still designed around a 4:3 space a widescreen makes you scroll a lot more unless you go for the gigantic (and heavy) 17 inch version and/or increase the resolution to really tiny sizes.

I also like the fact that you can get a true docking station for the Latitude series. These are no longer available for the newer Inspirons, just a stand to elevate the screen up higher. I went with one particular docking station that will also accept the same hot-swappable module from the computer that normally houses the optical drive. I keep the CD-RW/DVD unit in the docking station as I rarely use it on the road, and put an extra battery in that corresponding space in the laptop to increase running time away from an outlet.

I got mine from the Dell Outlet site, and saved about $200 and two weeks' time over a custom built version. It was supposed to be a "scratch and dent" model but I absolutely cannot find any blemishes on it whatsoever.

I also agree to stay away from Vista, at least until Service Pack 1 is released. My Dell XPS-410 desktop came with Vista, and it's caused me a host of problems ranging from hardware incompatibility to increased user input vs. the same tasks on XP to aggravating software bugs that the folks in Redmond hadn't worked out prior to release.

JahJahwarrior:
As for dells, I cannot stand trialware. Every Dell I've ever seen or used has tons of trial ware. If you buy Dell, wipe the drive clean and rreinstall windows.

My Latitude had no trialware whatsoever, not even an anti-virus program. Dell's new Vostro line is also being advertised as being bloatware-free.

Mac's are nice but overpriced. I used them for many years before going over to the "Dark Side."

As for the Mac, I agree with that.. The first notebook in my life was Powerbook 5300. It was 10 years ago. I still have that power book and Machintosh LC and it runs very well. Please let me know if anyone is interested in these colletible Apple products. It was a darn expensive when I got these Apple product. For example, Powerbook was over $2k with an academic discount 10 years ago...

I really want to be back to Apple, but nobody is using nearby me. That is the reason why I went to PC 7 years ago. Window Vista is just imitation of Mac OS.. MS OS can never beat MAC OS's stability.

Dell..... No more Dell... I am also writing this post with Dell desktop. Dell has been very price competitive, but not anymore. Toshiba and Lenovo are also made in China to cut its labor cost. Dell Latitude model used to be made in Taiwan as I recall.

My GF is also using Dell 300M that was made by Samsung. It comes with a docking system and its weight is only 2.9lb. However, based on my experience with three Dell notebooks, it is too much risky to get another Dell notebook without having a complete care. It is another $400 nowadays. Yeah they jacked up the price since my GF paid about $250 for three years complete coverage. My GF had to replace the screen twice last two years. Their customer service isn't bad, but it is still PITA..

I almost end up with Lenovo 3000 V200 after comparing with Sony VGN-SZ430N/B

I will order it within two hours, so please let me know if you have any other suggestion....

In addition, I have one question. Is it possible to downgrade OS from Vista to XP on the new notebook? The new one comes with Vista, but I don't want to use it.
Is there any compatibility issue, such as driver....?

Thanks ahead...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom