New name for "DIR"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean you think it's important to them? I think it is too.

Wouldn't you love to be holding on to the reins of what makes up DIR? It's probably the most valuable "brand" (if you can call it that yet) in diving today...

Think about it...you sell them on the system, then you sell them the gear, then you sell them the training (not necessarily in that order)...doesn't make the system bad, but may make the owner(s) wealthy in the process..

It's a marketing slogan, of course it's important to them. I couldn't care less what's it called, but I'll continue to use the name as a means of identification and communication.

Mike

O-ring once bubbled...
Wouldn't you love to be holding on to the reins of what makes up DIR?
Notice how much bandwidth is not being consumed discussing the merits of *Dive Rite*?

DIR is consuming bandwidth for a reason... and it is more than marketing... though certainly that comes into play... but the very fact that the acronym gets a negative response serves to get DIR more exposure!

Thanks fifth column folk.

Ok, guys, you've provided the perfect solution to all objections both pro and con "DIR"
Change it to "Doing it Rite"
Won't do it, will you?
Didn't think so.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Ok, guys, you've provided the perfect solution to all objections both pro and con "DIR"
Change it to "Doing it Rite"
Won't do it, will you?
Didn't think so.
Rick
Why sure Rick... if this helps you... yes... we will all mean "Doing It Rite" whenever we use the acronym DIR.

There.

See how easily that was solved?

And don't you feel better now.

O-ring once bubbled...

Wouldn't you love to be holding on to the reins of what makes up DIR? It's probably the most valuable "brand" (if you can call it that yet) in diving today...

Think about it...you sell them on the system, then you sell them the gear, then you sell them the training (not necessarily in that order)...doesn't make the system bad, but may make the owner(s) wealthy in the process..

O-ring,

I don't know what JJ is making on Halcyon equipment, but I assure you that no one is getting rich teaching the GUE DIR course. The typical course fee is $275.00. $200 of that goes to the instructors. They're gone every weekend, from Friday morning thru Sunday nite. There's usually 2-3 instructors, plus assistants for video and line placement. By the time you spread out the funds, there isn't much left. This is done for the love of the sport.

As far as I know, none of the instructors have a financial stake in Halcyon. And Halcyon isn't the only manufacturer making BP's and wings, harness's, etc.

I forgot to add-

The remaining $75.00 goes for airfare, hotels, food, fills, entrance fees, classroom rental fees, gas, etc. If you only have 6 students, $450 is not going to cover the above. It's coming out of someone's pocket-and it's not the student's pockets.

The cost I was given was 300/student plus expenses. Some of the instructors are doing this full time. I'm sure it's not the highest paying job around and I'm sure they love the sport but they are making a living. Making a living is getting about impossible in this business especially if you want to do it well. As far as I'm concerned the whole thing is ok. Better diving is good. Good products should sell. Good marketing and good ideas should make money. Not unique to DIR but people who's only knowlege comes from reading a book or two and maybe one class in the basics should just maybe not talk as loud.

It changes from city to city, depending on the assumed costs involved. Our's was $275.00

Hey Mike,

That was Brandon Schwarts that told me $300 for the DIRF class in Detroit this fall. I relayed that price to you this past weekend when we were diving at Gilboa. Don't let the money come between you and class. I guarentee you'll benefit from it. I'd take it again if I could buy the time.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom