New member from ohio (cincinnati)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would buy the one that fits the best. With wetsuits particular brands fit differently. Some brands run long some run short. It's going to be tough finding reviews for AquaLung suits because I don't think internet sites are allowed selling that brand. I think it must be sold only in the dive shop. I haven't had experience with either of these brands of suits. I am considering buying a 3mm Scubapro suit depending on how it fits. If you are looking for a warm 5 mm suit check out Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene. Thats what I decided to go with. Zippers on ankles and very good sealing system. I have had it to 58deg for 57 minutes and was hot while my buddy with his 7mm was chilled. This weekend should be the better test for it since its been pretty cold for the past week. The water temp should of dropped considerably. I feel with this suit that I could most likely take it down to the mid to lower 50's and still be comfortable. Anyways I would definately pick a suit that fits the best.

I agree, get the suit that fits the best. The workmanship & quality of both SP & AL are comparable. I'll be honest, if you are looking to dive year round or extending your diving season in these parts, you may want to save up a bit & just get a drysuit. It makes all the difference in the world. If you do go that way, you will want to either take a drysuit course or get with someone who has decent experience with a drysuit & can help mentor you for the first few times.
As for a knife or cutting tool, you don't need a machete strapped to your leg, just a small blade with serrations & possibly a line cutter on the blade. Most of my cutting tools have about a 3" blade, that's all. A good pair of stainless steel EMT shears does well also..

You can dive dry year round, I wear mine pretty much year round. However, it may a bit of an overkill in the dead of summer. :coolingoff: I'll be the first to admit, I'm a real wus when it comes to the cold. I do have a 3mm wetsuit, but use it primarily just in the pool. I dive a Trilam (shell) drysuit & the amount of insulation depends on what I wear under it. I have, several undergarments of varying thicknesses. I've worn anything between just shorts & a T-shirt underneath (not recommended since the suit squeeze can pinch bare skin a bit) to light undergarments for warmer waters, to an undergarment that is the thickness of a winter coat for colder waters. Around this region, the water temperatures stay in the lower 40's below 60 ft of depth, so even if you don't dive year round, if you plan to do any deep diving, you have to plan your thermal protection to the temperature of the depth you're going to dive. Like I mentioned earlier, it is also wise to get some instruction either form a course or someone who has a fair amount of experience diving in drysuits, since with a drysuit (they are inflatable & have an exhaust valve) you are dealing with another air space like your BC. Its not difficult to learn to manage, it, but does take a little instruction. Also be aware that a drysuit in general costs about 5X's more than a wetsuit, but to me is worth it for the comfort & for the way it can extend the length of a dive. At depth, the quarry I dive is 42 degrees year round below 60 ft. In a 2 pc 7 mm wetsuit, I was only able to stay down for about 20 min. before getting too cold. With a drysuit it is nearly double that time. Each person is an individual, & the cold affect each person differently.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom