New member from ohio (cincinnati)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro Marcus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

New member here, also new to scuba. My girlfriend and I just returned from a mexico vacation. I have been on many of these trips but never scuba till now, WOW I was missing everything it is like looking at a zoo sign and never going in. I am hooked me and my girlfriend start our cert classes at the end of this month. I didnt believe all the local places you can dive as well. We are going all out and buying a total dive system I have done alot of research and ask alot of questions and I think we are going to go mostly with Scuba pro equipment. Hence the name.:D

Actually any advise on equipment will help, What is the cons with buying used?
Thanks

Welcome! I dive only a few hours away from you in SW KY. If you're ever down that way, look me up.
Buying used equipment can be a lot like buying a used car. It can have some good & bad points.
Pro's to having used dive gear:
1. Less expensive, typically in the short run
2. Can give you a better idea of what you may want without a huge expense

Con's:
1. Typically manufacturer's warranties are voided (including some that offer free wear parts for life). Any work done on the equipment is usually full price for parts & labor.
2. You don't really know how the equipment was used/ abused or maintained

Those are the biggest things that come to mind.

Fairly close to you in LaGrange, KY (NE of Louisville) is Falling Rock Park (Joe's Quarry). It is a fairly shallow quarry at about 45ft max depth. A few things sunken around in there. A lot of local dive shops use it as a training site. It is pretty primitive with some set- up areas & pot- a- potties. Thee are no air fills or dive equipment available there. There is also Pennyroyal Blue Springs a few hours away from you, in Hopkinsville, KY. Pennyroyal depths range from a wade in area to a shallow area at about 25 ft & to max depths of about 120 ft. There is a full service dive shop on site with air & nitrox fills, an extensive sheltered area for gear set-up. There are a bunch of attractions sunken there: a UH1 helicopter, an RV, school bus, a few vans, cabin cruisers, & all kinds of smaller boats & such. There is also Dale Hollow Lake in south central KY. To be honest, I've never dove there, so really can't say about conditions, just know it is a popular site.

That's awesome on the cave diving I hope to get to that level one day.

Thanks for the dive info, maybe when it gets warmer we can dive.

Welcome! I'm new here also - certified in August and headed to Cozumel next week. What experience in Mexico got you hooked?! What made you decide on ScubaPro equipment? Have you decided where you will take your lessons -- I highly recommend Central Coast Dive Center in Northern Kentucky. Tommy Evans, the owner there will take care of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom