New Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMojo

Reaction score
Hi All ,
Recently bought the basic equipment to start diving,A mask was inncluded in this list. i was wondering if there is any preperation required before using it for the first time i.e is there a protective film covering the lens.In the back of my mind i remember some one saying wash it with toothpaste but this seems abraisive to me any advice welcome.

Regards,
MAL..

Yes, you are going to need to wash it with toothpaste first. Try to get one that is not to abrasive though, like a gel. This will get any molding agent off. If you do not do this, you will have serious fogging problems.

You were right. Use toothpaste or Softscrub to clean the inside of the lens first. If you use toothpaste don't use gel, use the white kind.

Enjoy your new equipment.

Chad

But there seems to a diveded opion on which sought.

Is it Gel or the White stuff

(pehaps we should have a poll,LOL)

It is the silica in the toothpaste that removes the silicon film on the mask and helps to elimate fogging. It is my understanding that gel doesn't have as much in it so it is less effective. I could be wrong so try which ever one you have on hand and if it doesn't work try the other.

The silica aren't abrasive enought to scratch the mask so you shouldn't have any trouble either way. Just use your finger to rub it in and not something that is more abrasive.

Good luck.

Chad

Don't forget to rinse well. Minty freshness ain't good on the eyes.

Hmm. Gel has always worked just perfect for me! :confused: Oh well, I guess either will work just fine than! :D I wonder which one is DIR? LOL!!!!

JamesK,

I am sure Halcyon sells the correct DIR substance.

Chad

PS. Don't flame me I dive Halcyon.

Thanks for the advice lads and for a good laugh at the same time.
Regards,
MAL..

I'm off to the bathroom now........

it is my experience that you will need to scrub the mask lens several times to get all the coating off and prevent fogging. One other tip when diving. If you will fill the mask with water(or put it in a bucket of clean water) during the surface interval you won't have to keep applying defog solution.

IMHO 500 psi is the best defog agent on the market. Others have had good results with Johnsons baby shampoo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom