New mask coming (Yay!) Cleaning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toothpaste, the stiff, white kind. Put it on both sides of the lenses and scrub gently and thoroughly with your toothbrush (or the toothbrush you keep in your save-a-dive kit). Do it twice.

Soft scrub with bleach. Flames on a mask scare me -- too hard to be precise and KNOW how hot things are getting, especially on the soft skirt.

Congrats on your frameless, they really fit ugly old mugs like mine.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

Thanks for all the replies folks. Mask should arrive Wed. or Thurs.

Just realized, not sure I even have any "regular" toothpaste around here any more. I may have to visit the "trial size" aisle at the grocer. While I'm there, I should probably pick up a small bottle of J&J Baby Shampoo (to replace my defog).

I'll let you know how it all works out, and if I'm brave enough to "face the fire". Actually does seem like a pretty good idea when you think about it. Hmm....
think.gif

Ordered a new mask a couple days ago (Scubapro Frameless) and am wondering, do the "old standby" methods (Softscub or toothpaste) really get the job done, or do I need to spend the five bucks on one of the various magic potions available for cleaning a new mask? (My last mask, I used the magic stuff from the LDS I bought from, can't recall what I did before).

Regular toothpaste works quite well. However, I've found that Dawn dishwashing liquid works just as well and is much easier to clean off. Wet the lens, apply a small amount of Dawn and rub both sides with a soft cotton cloth. Repeat a couple of times, rinse well, and you're good to go. :palmtree: Bob

Last edited:
Dawn does seem easier to clean off but is it as effective as toothpaste? I've just gotten a new mask as well and still need to prep it.

Regardless of what you use to scrub -- be it toothpaste or softscrub w/bleach -- don't use a toothbrush. A toothbrush is not very maneuverable on the inside of a mask and you can't develop enough pressure to do an effective job. Instead use a small cloth or a cotton ball or a small gauze square. With any of these on a fingertip you can do a good thorough job, reach into all the nook and crannies, and apply some good scrubbing pressure.

And don't expect it to get clean with just one scrubbing session. Do it two or three times before using the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom