New Marina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know about parking and pier access at the knew marina?

Satellite imagery shows a lot of roads and 5 (!) glorietas. It's hard to tell whether what looks like a central parking lot will be adequate, but it's considerably larger than at the Caleta. The piers are long and spread out, so there could be a fair amount of hiking involved.

I haven't been able to go in and ride around because the entrances have been blocked off and there've been guards at the casetas.

fuel prices never ever go down here - there is no fluctuation, only systematic increases every few months.

Actually, all increases in price of all Pemex fuels have been frozen since January 1, 2015. Fuel prices will be held steady at that January 1st price for the rest of 2015. Pemex has an upper limit for the price of each fuel type for 2015 (which is what the current 2015 prices are in Cozumel), as well as a lower limit (which is the cost the stations pay Pemex for the fuel). The individual gas station concessions may charge anything in between those two limits. In most of the country, as well as in Cozumel, the stations charge the highest price allowed for 2015. In some of the northern Mexican border states, the stations charge less than the maximum allowed, in order to compete with the US gas stations across the border.

Although the fuel is not cheap in Mexico, this system of fixing the price for a solid year seems to me that it would make it easier for boat operators to budget fuel expenses for the year.

I will be interested in seeing how dive ops get to and load their boats. When I looked at the new marina through a fence by the entryway, it did not appear that many of the docking locations would be easily accessible without requiring unneeded labor. Since I am not a dive op or boat person, maybe I missed something.

For us the new marina will make logistics much easier. Existing long term contracts with the old Caleta will be honored, but once they expire, the monthly slip rent will go to the same as Puerto Abrigo in the north. Rates there are typically 3 times more. Some may have to raise rates but Aldora won't for at least several years. Fuel savings will not exist unless pick up policies change.

We now have all of our Caleta based boats in the new marina and access by truck is much easier for us.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Falicity and Aldora VI (new Special Ops boat) both stay up north at Puerto Abrigo) and as Joe mentioned Hurricane is Moored in front of the Villa Aldora. That makes all 8 boats under control!

Here is Fonatur's CGI video of the project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=118sPFIGueg Somehow they left out any imagery of the existing fleet of Cozumel dive, fishing & snorkel boats currently in the Caleta, in the video.

So how did it work with the raffel? If an operator had multiple slips are they scattered about or in a group?

Actually, all increases in price of all Pemex fuels have been frozen since January 1, 2015. Fuel prices will be held steady at that January 1st price for the rest of 2015. Pemex has an upper limit for the price of each fuel type for 2015 (which is what the current 2015 prices are in Cozumel), as well as a lower limit (which is the cost the stations pay Pemex for the fuel). The individual gas station concessions may charge anything in between those two limits. In most of the country, as well as in Cozumel, the stations charge the highest price allowed for 2015. In some of the northern Mexican border states, the stations charge less than the maximum allowed, in order to compete with the US gas stations across the border.

Although the fuel is not cheap in Mexico, this system of fixing the price for a solid year seems to me that it would make it easier for boat operators to budget fuel expenses for the year.

This has been the first year they have done this - and actually - the rates for fuel increased in March - but not since.

Prior to this, the fuel increased every month.

It has made it much easier to keep a handle and budget fuel costs since it has not been changing every month. I was not aware that the pricing was fixed through the end of 2015 - so thank you for that explanation :)

---------- Post added June 10th, 2015 at 03:22 PM ----------

For us the new marina will make logistics much easier. Existing long term contracts with the old Caleta will be honored, but once they expire, the monthly slip rent will go to the same as Puerto Abrigo in the north. Rates there are typically 3 times more. Some may have to raise rates but Aldora won't for at least several years. Fuel savings will not exist unless pick up policies change.

We now have all of our Caleta based boats in the new marina and access by truck is much easier for us.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Falicity and Aldora VI (new Special Ops boat) both stay up north at Puerto Abrigo) and as Joe mentioned Hurricane is Moored in front of the Villa Aldora. That makes all 8 boats under control!

Lucky for your crew that all of your boats are in the first slots Dave :wink: I was there when they opened this morning and participated in the "lottery" as well - you sure did get lucky to draw the card for those slots! :cool2: I am just happy that I got our two slips together and with a dock on one side :)

It sounds like they are honoring our long term contracts - but rates will still go up from what we are currently paying as outlined in the contracts we signed in 2010 to accommodate the additional services.

The marina sure looks pretty - but it is the most poorly planned and laid out marina I've ever seen with regards to parking, loading and unloading areas, etc.

Dave, if your boat slips (?) are such that you can drive up to them to load then great. It may not be a big deal if you still plan on loading at the pier in town. For those who are not able to truck in tanks adjacent to their boats my guess is that it will be bad.

We have always (well since I built it) loaded tanks at the Aldora Pier Downtown and will continue to do so since our shop is just across the street. But you have a new point for us to consider…for boats picking up only to the south, that might save us lots of gas. Thanks

Dave

We have always (well since I built it) loaded tanks at the Aldora Pier Downtown and will continue to do so since our shop is just across the street. But you have a new point for us to consider…for boats picking up only to the south, that might save us lots of gas. Thanks

Dave

De nada. I have my moments. It will be interesting to see how things are working in the coming months. For some folks it may be bad, but as noted before, I only have a view of the setup from near the Caleta and Google Earth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom