New Mammogram Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Now it seems they are factoring in the effects of radiation exposure? I would think the science for that would be out there....why is this only now coming up? slightly irritating. What has factored in to this decision...cost?

I never followed the yearly thing anyway...I opted for every few years, and deal with the "guilt trips" at the doctor's office, where the nurses give me the "naughty girl" lecture.

The American College of Physicians and the American Cancer Society are not in aggreement, it seems.

Oh..and while I am ragging on OB/Gyns:

When I was pregnant they were all telling me to gain weight and now it turns out that was wrong too, it seems, according to the news yesterday. Then the next time, they told me to lose weight....(that nurse in Houston was 300 pounds but that did not keep her from ruining my day). She actually told me not to drink fruit juice. Sometimes you need to tune people out and decide for yourself.

The yearly pap thing is annoying too, because they should be telling women to exercise if they feel like nagging. Heart Disease is what is killing us. Just my opinion...

It seems it is every 2-3 years now for most women(PAPS). What are your doctors telling you?

My family doc was shocked to find out I was 34 and had never had a pap. I got the naughty girl lecture and he recommended every 2 years and said he could do it instead of me having to find a GYN since he knew I was absolutely terrified of doctors. He talked me into a pap and all was normal. Now he's gone to pursue another job opportunity; it will take many years for me to trust another doctor so there will be another bad girl lecture coming I'm sure.
Ber :lilbunny:

Pap is yearly, I had my first Mammogram this year. That was kind of interesting, since they called me back to do more views of one breast. Thankfully they had forewarned me that this happens about 75% of the time on a first time mammogram. Turned out all was well.

Ber- I've never seen "my" gyn- I always see the nurse practicioner. I've been seeing her for.... 12 years or so now....

Well, I'm going to be 50 this year and haven't had a mammogram yet. It's on the agenda but not on the calendar yet... My friends are already giving me the 'naughty girl' lecture, so spare me, ladies!
What worries me about this recommendation is the possibility that insurance companies will use it as an excuse not to cover mammograms for women under 50, at least some of whom should be getting them because of family history or other risk factors.
Yes, I will get one soon, really...

Deborah

The news report I saw was recommending that for those with family history or other indicators have not only mammography, but MRI as well.

yea...I saw that. Also, there has been an "undercurrent" movement for ultrasound instead for awhile. Now I am hearing about thermography.

Wow...you women have been dodging the doctors big time. I'm a little surprised really. Ber..34? Not sure how you pulled that off. Your insurance company never flagged that? very interesting.

Guess you don't need my encouragement to moderate...lol.

I have been on the yearly everything for years..finally I said "this is ridiculous".

Why should something that represents 30% of my risk (guessing for argument's sake) be getting 95% of my health "attention/ resources"? If that makes any sense.

I am having trouble with this sudden "radiation exposure" business. We should have had that data by now, shouldn't we? I smell a rat.

Maybe...just maybe it is a simple matter of new science emerging. But seems fishy, I bet economics or something is factoring in...

I know I am a moonbat (and an RN) but...wasn't there something a while back about scraping your cervix every year was maybe not such a good thing?

I realize it takes many years and lots of time to master the science, maybe that takes it's toll. I hate to admit it, but more and more, I ask "Should I be listening to you?" (Where before I just accepted what they said as the truth)

catherine96821:
Wow...you women have been dodging the doctors big time. I'm a little surprised really. Ber..34? Not sure how you pulled that off. Your insurance company never flagged that? very interesting.

Why would the insurance company notice? They only pay attention when they have to pay money. They can't force medical stuff on you. When I came off my parent's insurance my mom helped me get insurance on my own. To keep the rates down to something I could afford while going to college we had them exclude coverage of anything female related. I don't think you can even do that any more but you wouldn't believe how much less my insurance premiums were when we asked about not carrying "female problem" or pregnancy coverage. I've had my current insurance agency for almost 10 years and they never say a thing but I can't exclude coverage for female stuff or I would.

I don't have any family history for female stuff, we die of heart attacks and you already covered that one :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Well, I turn 40 this year...and was planning a huge party. However, my birthday falls on Oct. 1...and my Dive for the Cure events are the first and (probably) second weekends in October. There goes the party dates.

So...for my 40th birthday celebration, and in honor of Dive for the Cure...my best friend and photographer is going to accompany me to my first mammogram. Documented...discreetly...for the site.

Happy 40th???

Good to hear about the repeat visit though, as that would present a huge scare for me if I didn't know it.

To keep the rates down to something I could afford while going to college we had them exclude coverage of anything female related. I don't think you can even do that any more but you wouldn't believe how much less my insurance premiums were when we asked about not carrying "female problem" or pregnancy coverage.

So...is ovarian cancer or breast cancer "female trouble?"

Do men get lower rates if they exclude their prostates or their brains. lol...kidding.

They can't force medical stuff on you.

Actually, I think you are wrong in some situations.

Certain companies feel if they prevent illness, they save millions. That's what managed care that is sweeping the country and Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO's) are all about.

Capitation...yea, I think you are mistaken in some case. Think of it as "required maintenance" by some insurance companies, on your "warranty"

My old insurance company used to call and nag me for tests like PAPs and mammograms. They never actually threatened to void my insurance, but I bet my doctor, for example would not prescribe OC (birth control pills) if I refused to get yearly exams or mammograms (due to the estrogen exposure).

That "excluding female trouble" offends me on some level...but I can't pinpoint why, it is certainly a perogative. It's like they are...cherry picking. (no pun intended)

as that would present a huge scare for me if I didn't know it.

Breast cancer is over 95% curable now...

I wish women were as terrified about their hearts.

Not to be obnoxious, but we need to wake up. (I know you guys are hip to that, but most women live in fear of breast cancer or even rarer ovarian cancer)

I think hearts are the biggest risk, and if I remember right, lung cancer (even for non-smokers) is the biggest cancer risk.

Makes me wonder if we should be checking our houses for radon. Seriously.

Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths among women (you can't just cut them out and be rid of it)...however Breast Cancer still remains the number one most common cancer among women. (www.cdc.gov)

I do agree that women should be more terrified of their "hearts"...on a lot of levels.

Obesity...a major problem in our land...is not only hard on your heart, but also raises the risk of breast cancer. It also makes cancerous tumors in the breast area harder to find in younger women, who have a higher death rate from breast cancer...due in some part to late diagnosis.

And while breast cancer is more "curable" now than in prior decades...it's still not like you just get to take a two week medication and it's gone. I think that breast cancer...and ovarian cancer...scares women more because it touches the very being of "womanhood". While I've never personally feared losing my breasts in a mastectomy...I know many women who that would be devastating for. And for a young woman to lose her ovaries or cervix due to cancer...well, that hits at a deeper level as well. And the whole hair loss thing...yeah, that hits us hard too.

Heart disease...a silent killer. You lose your life...not a body part.

Hmm...interesting perspective what scares us, huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom