New Mammogram Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is worth contemplating.

Breast cancer is a very worthy cause and people are drawn to various causes for different reasons.

I really can't figure out this sudden "weigh the risks of radiation exposure" with mammograms because they have been sort of brushing that off for years.

Anybody know anyone in the research area that can shed some light on this?

catherine96821:
So...is ovarian cancer or breast cancer "female trouble?"

The type of insurance I had at the time offered zero cancer coverage (ovarian/lung/bone...didn't matter). Basically the only expensive things it covered were injuries. As far as female trouble definitions: Ovarian cancer yes, breast cancer no since guys can get that as well.

catherine96821:
Do men get lower rates if they exclude their prostates or their brains. lol...kidding.
LOL! Not for their health insurance but I think their car insurance rates go down as the risk of prostate problems rises :rofl3: (bad rabbit, bad bad rabbit).

catherine96821:
Actually, I think you are wrong in some situations.

Certain companies feel if they prevent illness, they save millions. That's what managed care that is sweeping the country and Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO's) are all about.

Capitation...yea, I think you are mistaken in some case. Think of it as "required maintenance" by some insurance companies, on your "warranty"

Been wrong before but my company (the one I work for, not my insurance) doesn't seem to be one of those, I think they are trying to be but on the local level we really don't see it. Repetitive-use injuries are common here, had one myself (elbow) and workers comp wouldn't cover it because they said the doctor didn't fill the paperwork out right. I submitted the claim to my insurance company and they paid without question even though they SHOULD have gotten that doctor to fill the paperwork out correctly and put it through the workers comp system.

The strange thing is I'd had an MRI done on my knee a few months prior (non-work related) and the insurance company called me wanting to know if there was any way it could be due to a work related injury. That's the only thing they have ever called me about, basically they just don't care.

catherine96821:
My old insurance company used to call and nag me for tests like PAPs and mammograms. They never actually threatened to void my insurance, but I bet my doctor, for example would not prescribe OC (birth control pills) if I refused to get yearly exams or mammograms (due to the estrogen exposure).

That "excluding female trouble" offends me on some level...but I can't pinpoint why, it is certainly a perogative. It's like they are...cherry picking. (no pun intended)

A doctor shouldn't prescribe birth control without the tests, I agree with that. I also don't use birth control pills for that very reason. Traumatic experiences at the doctor's office when I was a child still haunt me, I'm overly sensitive in that respect I know but if I had ever had anything out of the ordinary occur I would get it checked out. I've been lucky and haven't had any problems and I don't have a family history that increases my risk. My heart, now THAT concerns me :wink: My mom had a major heart attack at 46 but survived, her father died of a heart attack in his 50's and my father was 64 when a heart attack killed him. Three years ago when Dad died I had tests done and the doctor said heart disease isn't what's going to kill me but I can't help but wonder how quickly that sort of thing can change. I know you can lower your cholesterol but mine's low and my good cholesterol is high however I still wonder if there is a point where that will suddenly change and I go from healthy heart to heart attack.

It's certainly not my intention to offend you. I normally keep my mouth shut and if you wish me to do that just let me know.
Ber :lilbunny:

The only reason I have pap tests done yearly is to get the BCP prescription. I just turned 41 last week and have never had a mammogram. My ANP tells me I should have one just as a baseline and then get one done every 2 years or so. I have no family history of cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, or strokes. None. No parent or grandparent, or even an aunt/uncle. My paps have always been clear, too.

So given the fact that a mammogram increases your risk of breast cancer by an estimated 1% per year (according to the research I have done), I choose not to increase my risk unnecessarily. I'll get the baseline done just to have it but I don't plan to go back every year.

Heck, I don't even let the dentist x-ray my teeth every year. That only happens every 5 years now.

I think my doctor is going to tell me to get a mammogram this year. I hit the big 50. My paps have been ok but I had bladder cancer 12 years ago and a test last fall found some changes in my cells so I have to be tested every 3 months for the bladder. Gee it seems the docs are always poking around someplace down there.

I have some good doctors and they always take the time to answer my questions and never rush me. They also check my insurance to make sure I'm covered and have gone to bat for me over what is necessary. Women need more advocates when it comes to the insurance companies.

I had paps every year for 16 years, until last year. My doctor suggested that I drop back to every two years....unless I was planning on having a crazy sex life - then I was more exposed to HPV, which would put me more at risk for cervical cancer.

I have a history of breast cancer in my family, but it has never been suggested that I should have a mammogram. I'm 34, though...I guess it's too soon.

My insurance company has never bothered me. If I don't mention it, they don't have to pay for it. :)

Interesting thread.

I actually called my gyn doc today for horrid bad menstrual cramps that wouldn't let up for anything... she said she'd call in some pain meds for me on the contingency that I schedule my pap cause I'm overdue. I hate those yearly exams! But, at this point... I'd do anything to ease the cramps so I set the appointment! LOL

On the issue of mammograms, I'm turning 30 in a few days. Recently I've found some "lumpy" areas.... I'm fairly sure it's scar tissue, as I had a breast reduction a couple years ago, but I think I'm gonna request an ultrasound of the breasts instead of the boob squish.... uh... I mean mammogram. :) I just want to make sure it's scar tissue and not something more... as lumps do run in the family (thankfully, no cancers as of yet). I'm requesting the ultrasound for comfort reasons... since my reduction, I'm soooo sensitive and I'm afraid the mammogram machine would be a form of cruel and unusual punishment! LOL If insurance is an issue between the mamm and and the ultrasound... I'll gladly pay out the additional out of pocket for the ultrasound. LOL

I know you can lower your cholesterol but mine's low and my good cholesterol is high however I still wonder if there is a point where that will suddenly change and I go from healthy heart to heart attack.

It's certainly not my intention to offend you. I normally keep my mouth shut and if you wish me to do that just let me know.
Ber

No...not offended one bit, I like hearing how others are making these decisions.

My own opinion is that with a family heart history, you should track your HDL/Ldl at least every couple of years and stay on top of it.

So given the fact that a mammogram increases your risk of breast cancer by an estimated 1% per year (according to the research I have done),
thats interesting, where did you see that?

Quote:
So given the fact that a mammogram increases your risk of breast cancer by an estimated 1% per year (according to the research I have done),
thats interesting, where did you see that?

It was in a book about x-ray and gamma ray exposure that I read awhile back. I'll try to remember the name. I am pretty sure I took it the books store along with some others for trade.

Interesting thread. I just had a mammogram a couple months ago. Nothing to see, but they suggested I have it done again because of the denisty of the breasts. UGh. I am mostly concerned with breast cancer as it runs on both sides of the family, and one aunt died of cervical cancer. Another ugh. I also had a pap this year with the urging of a friend who has had all kinds of problems and made me promise her I would get a pap (it had been about 5 years). Her problems were detected from a pap.

catherine96821:
I think it is worth contemplating.

Breast cancer is a very worthy cause and people are drawn to various causes for different reasons.

I really can't figure out this sudden "weigh the risks of radiation exposure" with mammograms because they have been sort of brushing that off for years.

Anybody know anyone in the research area that can shed some light on this?

This isn't "research" but I'll try to find the source of what I'm remembering...

which is that they've recently decided that mammograms may detect tumours that a) are not growing or b) are not cancerous or c) are growing so slowly the cancer will never actually kill you, or maybe not even become an issue. However, once detected, these tumours must be treated, and in some cases, the treatment is more harmful than the tumour would have been, if left alone, undetected.

That's what I read - as I say, I'll try to find the source. My take is that radiation exposure (which is of course present with any x-ray) is a more palatable argument to the public than "this diagnostic tool may be doing more harm than good."

Note that I'm not saying mammos are not a useful diagnostic tool in certain situations, as I believe they are. Fun, no. Useful, yes.

kari

Back
Top Bottom