New LP Steel Tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is that the membrane system is a LP output, so the output from the membrane is subjected to the same filtration in the compressor that any other air would. Am I off track here?

Yes. Most compressors do not output o2 clean air. "Any other air" gets filtered to Grade-E levels for regular scuba use. To be compatible with o2 clean tanks, it needs to be further filtered to Mod Grade-E levels.

Half the reason shops go to Membrane systems (which cost a lot more than partial pressure blending setups) is to avoid the need for o2 clean tanks, since nothing comes out over 40%. The membrane merely takes regular air and filters out some of the nitrogen, so the resulting gas has a higher percentage of 02.

If you won't be getting PP nitrox, the cleaning (as others have said) makes no sense. When I buy new cylinders, I get hydros from that very month. Not exactly a new cylinder otherwise. Just not a used cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom