New Lp 108 Disk Burst 1st Over Fill 3800 Psi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, do the calculation on how HOT a tank has to get before the burst disk would take effect.

WAY HOTTER than any trunk is going to get, unless the car itself is being consumed by a fire already!! A really hot one at that.

Please, do your home work or forget the posts.

DeepScuba:
Pasley:

He said, and meant, the tanks are hydroed with water IN them for the reason provided.

My bad. I did not at first reading catch that he was talking about water in the tank.

As for how hot a tank would have to get in the trunk before the disk let go? I don't know, you can do the math. All I know is one of our Southern California divers lost a dive and had a mess in his car when a disk blew on the way to the dive after the tanks had spent considerable time in his trunk. Could there have been other issues? Yes, it could have been a bad disk or many other things, or it could have just been a safety device doing its job. It is still MHO that installing higher rated bust in a tank without any scientific study and testing to determine that disk is appropriate and approved for that tank is not a good idea.

But, I would rather err on the side of caution than to just guess and be wrong. I also stand behind my previous statement, that it is not just his life he is risking, but that of others.

pasley:
Oh by the way, putting the tanks in water DOES NOT PREVENT THEM EXPLODING. The water is there to take the expansion measurement by measureing the amount of displacement. If a tank lets go, water will not save you.

Ok, first of all, are you talking about during filling or during hydro? The water is there in filling to KEEP THEM COOL, if you're talking about during hydro, if the tank lets go, water will save you, because it's water inside the tank, which is imcompressible, instead of air.

Cave divers have and will continue to overfill "LP" steels with no ill effects, because, as Chuck said, Fabers are rated for 10,000 fills at 4,000 psi, regardless of the DOT rating.

Ben

Oh, one more little tidbit:

IF you overfill the Faber 112's to 3500, and you have doubles, you would have 296 cu ft of gas. Thats 148 cu ft per cylinder. FABER doesnt make a 148 cu ft tank. SO, I couldnt just go out and buy a bigger tank...

BTW, Faber 112 doubles hold 224 cu ft at service pressure of 2640, if you cant do the math...

SO, overfilling gives you 72 more cu ft of gas to use on a dive (doubles)...
Thats alot of gas!!!
Hence, why people overfill...

You could always just bolt up a 72 on those non-overfilled double 112s Chuck, now that would certainly be safer, right... :wink:

Ben

Yeah, just what I need another tank to carry...

I think a set of doubles, two deco bottles, and an argon bottle is enough. If overfilling means that I can carry another 72 cu ft of gas without carrying ANOTHER cylinder, then so be it...

OneBrightGator:
Evidently there's a lot of incredibly stupid cave divers down here going through tanks like candy... or not.

No argument from me on that one.

A 10% overfill is fine, a 20% overfill I can live with, but 45%? - that is incredibly stupid. And there certainly have been cases of relatively young tanks (5-10 years old) that have failed hydros after being routinely overfilled.

As someone already been pointed out, standards are different in Europe and tank life expentancies are different. The service pressure in the US is designed to be conservative for both saftey and for exceptionally long tank life. I always marvel how some cave divers will worry themselves over reducing every possible theoretical failure point in their configuration and then enthusiastically allow themselves to be a walking talking hydrotest dummy.

I also agree the monkey who filled the tank should eb spanked. Overfilling is clearly against the law and can cause the shop large proplems with the DOT if they are caught.

:doctor:
Hey Drifter welcome to SB and one of the standard arguments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom