New line for reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

traumadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Everyone,
I own a reef scuba safety reel. It has (had) 125ft of #24 line on it. I used about half the line yesterday using it as an upline from a wreck. I want to replace the line. I just dont feel like wasting all the line still on my reel. Is it acceptable to connect the end of the old line to the end of the new line with a knot? Something tells me this may tangle or something.

Comments?
Thanks

I wouldn't be concerned about a small neat knot, such as a double fisherman's, causing a problem while laying line, but I'd be worried about it catching on something while blowing a bag. Cave line is cheap, just buy a bulk spool and replace it from time to time.

Any ideas on what to do with the line already on my spool if I replaced it with new stuff?

There are always things to tie on with a bit of cave line--a couple of pieces will be a good addition to your save-a-dive kit. Check this out for a nice way to do it.

There are always things to tie on with a bit of cave line--a couple of pieces will be a good addition to your save-a-dive kit. Check this out for a nice way to do it.

Agreed, there is always a use for line. Put some in your car and your save a dive kit, it will come in handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom