New light project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naimis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, it's not really new, I've been working on it for months, but this might be my first post about it...

The original design uses the SST-90 LED, and a driver board that I designed around the LDO-10C DC-DC and a thermistor trim, based on ideas from folks over on candle power forums. If I had to do it again (and I might), I'd have a closer look at the Maxim 16384.

The reason I say original design is because that was the first plan, and I'll be continuing that design, but it's taking a while and I need a working light! So, I'm also assembling an SSC P7 based light that uses the same frame. When the SST-90 is functional, I should be able to just pop out the P7 electronics and put the SST-90 in place.

Anyway, the light head is a hacked-up Mag 2D. The battery pack is my "signature" PVC battery canister containing 3s2p 26650 4000mAH batteries. Est. run time on single charge is ~2H (I'll know more after I tune the current on the driver).

The handle is one I made over the past two days based on the design in the Airspeed Press book.

Here are some pictures of the work in progress. The electronics have yet to be installed, due to my blowing the first LED (made the incorrect assumption that my driver board was set to a lower voltage than it was), and avnet sending me the wrong part in replacement (they sent me the prototype board, not the SMD).

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 262
Incidentally, this project has been quite the learning experience for me as well. I had to learn electronic circuit design in order to make the driver circuit. I had to learn PCB layout in order to design that. I had to learn to run a machine lathe and how to cut threads to modify the Mag Lite. I had to learn how to run a mill to make the goodman handle...

Nice job! What kind of switch are you using?

Nice job! What kind of switch are you using?

Reed switch input into a p-channel mosfet.

Edit: the switch is in the Mag, and I'm planning on using a rotating ring with an embedded magnet to turn it on and off.

Last edited:
can you share some details what you have used as a front glass, and how you have sealed it?

source for the black clamp that holds the Maggi on the Goodman?

can you share some details what you have used as a front glass, and how you have sealed it?

Sure. The window is Cryo Inc. Acrylite FF, 3/16". It's actually the same material as the handle. I used it for both because I'd been given some free samples some time ago and had a lot to work with. In any case, the acrylite is easier to work with than glass, and apparently is more transparent to visible light as well.

The seal is actually done using the factory spec o-rings. I know a lot of people have said they're not enough, but at least around the window, you'd have a REALLY hard time with any other size o-ring. The empty housing has been tested for leaks in 40' of water without any problems. The end seal (power end), I did replace that o-ring with a larger one (same ID but >cross section). Can't remember offhand which one, but I think it was a 200 series.

The clip for the Mag is actually a Mag wall mount. I picked it up at Fry's Electronics for a few bucks. Made by Mag, for Mag, to hold a D-cell Mag light, how could it possibly go wrong? Additional benefit: 1 handle, any D-cell mag light.

I couldn't find it on their web site anywhere, but here's a place that google turned up: MagLite ASXD026 Maglite Mounting Brackets D Cell - ASXD026 $4.59 - Buy Discount Maglight at Maglite Sales

Also, I should probably mention that while I did use acrylite with the factory spec o-rings, the acrylite window on its own is far too thick to seal properly in the housing, and I had to use a machine lathe to turn a couple of shoulders on either side.

I'm getting kind of annoyed with Luminus (makers of the SST-90 LED) and AVNET (sole North American supplier of said LED). Twice, now, they've sent me the SSR-90 (prototype board) instead of the SST-90 (SMD).

For now, I'm using a SSC P7. It gets the job done, but it's not what I'd designed for.

I decided to stick with the SSC P7 for the dive light. The SST-90 is just too much trouble to work with. I may turn the SST-90s into video lights in the future, though. In any case, I get plenty of light and run time out of the P7-based light.

I've started building a newer, smaller canister for the battery pack, though. The battery pack in the earlier photos was for the F-size 22650 cells. The P7 is powered by 6 18650s which are A sized. Here's a picture of the old and new canister together.

Attachments

• CIMG0182.JPG
    CIMG0182.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 245
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom