New law in scubadiving in Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Exciting news... ummm.. IF I ever get to Greece!! I've never really understood why they would prohibit diving there if properly regulated. It's not like anyone can actually ENJOY the Underwater Ruins if they don't allow diving on them? Kinda like owning jewelery that one never wears, and keeps in a safe... pointless...

It's GREAT that the mighty $$$ has convinced them to open up the diving! My Greek dive Buddy who has family back there will be thrilled when I give him the news.

Basically diving was never prohibited in Greece. The old law basically was not constitutional and its validity was many times questioned till it reached the Greek General Counsil (one of the highest) legislative bodies. The council decided that this law was invalid and a diver caught diving in specific (forbidden) areas, could call upon this verdict. The problem was that everyone was messing with very bureaucratic and time consuming procedures and most of divers decided that it wasnt worth it.

Now with the new law things are much simpler. Diving is allowed everywhere (following ofcourse some standards regarding rating recognition and safety) apart from some few places that have been characterized archeological dive sites.

Just thought I'd report back though somewhat delayed.
Got to dive Santorini one of the very last dives of the season. One shop was still open and I just showed up. Dive was not too bad but nothing spectacular.
Santorini itself is something to behold. Many of the "white sugar cube" house pictures are done there.

Back
Top Bottom