New law in scubadiving in Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About the new law.

On Monday (17/10) it will be officially published. Article 11 states: Diving is allowed anywhere in the country except the archaeological sites (75 sites) and near ferry routes, ports etc.

Regarding diving in sites of archaeological interest, it was discussed in the parliament and they will organise archaeological parks where a group of divers supervised will be able to dive.

Of course you can dive independently (with a dive-buddy) but, only during the day hours.. Night diving is allowed only with a diving centre.

Last Weekend, with air temperature around 26, the water temp was about 23 degrees (at 30 meters).

Up to December the water temp are around 20 degrees. Jan-Mar can drop to 11-13 as my friend burbulithras stated. But this is min temp at 25+ meters. I dive all year with my 5mm wetsuit with no problem at all.

Finally, incentives will be given to dive centres who will operate in small islands.

If you plan for a long weekend, think about Greece... Come in Athens, Thessaloniki, Crete, Rhodes, Corfu and combine diving with great food and a lot of sightseeing!
:05:

WOW ! Great news. I am planning to visit Athens Greece 10/24/05 to 10/30/05 but was going to just site see. Now diving is an option while the wife shops. Is there someplace close (a three or four day trip ) where we can do both ? I am doing searchs as well but any info helpful, Thanks, David.
Travel tips helpful as well.

If this post is true that is absolutely fantastic news and will do the tourist trade a huge amount of good.

Can you confirm it is now actually in law as the last few times ive been over there it was still being debated and hadnt actually been voted in.

Do these cover the Ionian islands as well as the Aegean and mainland? Are there maps of exactly where and what is and isnt allowed?

Ive dived in greece a fair bit under the old laws and always thought it had potential to be excellent but artifically crippled by legislation. Warm water, calm seas, next to no real current, no tides, excellent visibility but diving was bland and unexciting with a limited number of dive sites, no wrecks, no night diving and no below 30m. If things have changed i'll be going back next summer!

The law was voted but it starts after 3 months to works,now a few diving centers in the islands work because it is the end of the tourist season(Aprill-Octomber)exept in Athens or big cities.

That's great news!!!! Finally more than two sites to dive in Santorini.
Mania

Great. So if as planned i go back next May i may actually get to see some wrecks :)

Are there going to be maps of available sites or something else to plan with?

I suspect this winter all the dive operators will be very busy going round finding new dive sites and locations ready for the new summer season.

marine521:
Taken from the Greek Ministry of Mercantile Marine Press release

...The new diving law is fully in accord with the EU Standards regarding recreational diving, which have actually been in force since early 2004. Moreover the unreasonable restrictions imposed in the past by archeologists are now being successfully modified.. ()...The Republic of Greece has several advantages as a holiday destination for divers: safety as a EU member, short flight distances for European travellers, excellent climate and long diving season, same currency with many other EU countries, and other amenities ... More

Finally we are free:wink:

Exciting news... ummm.. IF I ever get to Greece!! I've never really understood why they would prohibit diving there if properly regulated. It's not like anyone can actually ENJOY the Underwater Ruins if they don't allow diving on them? Kinda like owning jewelery that one never wears, and keeps in a safe... pointless...

It's GREAT that the mighty $$$ has convinced them to open up the diving! My Greek dive Buddy who has family back there will be thrilled when I give him the news.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom