Question Freediving according to scubadiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The evidence comes from bubblestudies. We KNOW there are micro/notsomicrobubbles in the blood when scuba. They may not be big enough to cause serious DCS with "Normal diving behaviour", the issue specifically with freediving after scuba is the shrinking of bubbles that then pass into the arteries and get carried into the especially sensitive areas of the body. The brain and the coronary vessels. Clogged arteries lead to ischemia. Ischemia in Brain and heart is a very different beast to battle than skin/fatbubbles.
This is a theory that I have known and taken into account since 2005. However, I don't know of any cases that confirm this theory. But these cases should exist because in the past it was often dived like this.

Let's take the depth limit in freediving as an example.
In the first book on diving medicine, the maximum depth was calculated from the maximum lung capacity and the minimum volume. Was that wrong? No, because even today some freedivers injure their lungs when they exceed this limit.
On the other hand, other freedivers dive much deeper, so the simple theory is incomplete. There is no consideration for the bloodshift different at freedivers.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying here that freediving after scuba is safe. But experience shows that an absolute NO medically is not present under all conditions.
I think that when asked whether such conditions exist, not all diving knowledge is questioned.

The evidence comes from bubblestudies. We KNOW there are micro/notsomicrobubbles in the blood when scuba. They may not be big enough to cause serious DCS with "Normal diving behaviour", the issue specifically with freediving after scuba is the shrinking of bubbles that then pass into the arteries and get carried into the especially sensitive areas of the body. The brain and the coronary vessels. Clogged arteries lead to ischemia. Ischemia in Brain and heart is a very different beast to battle than skin/fatbubbles.

If you are lucky @Duke Dive Medicine can bring some proper medical opinion on the matter.
Thanks for the add. I couldn't find any case reports, tagging @Dr Simon Mitchell .

Even absent a published case report at present, there's a physiologically sound reason for not free diving after scuba diving, as you've outlined here.

Best regards,
DDM

BTW : You know the story with the rats?
It has been suggested that physical training on the day before diving increases sensitivity to DCS .
Surprisingly with rats exactly the opposite turned out. The coached rats were very resistant to DCS, the rested rats got DCS.
Hmm...this is interesting. I wonder if some strenuous exercise (but not exhausting) before a dive can "prime" the body to offgas more efficiently?

I found another interesting article about it. From minute 27 on , a possible mechanism is outlined.

Greetings Rainer

Servus Rainer,
I found another interesting article about it. From minute 27 on , a possible mechanism is outlined.

Greetings Rainer
I just saw the thread, and I remember Dr. Mitchell discussing exercise before/after diving as well in quite a few of his publicly online lectures (RF4, UTD, DAN).
What I remember clearst is "best" placment of Cardio is 24hrs+ before/after the dive.*

I will try and find you links and time stamps (but the entierity of the lectures are great as well, so maybe watch them in entierty)

Probably I can't add much more to what everyone has already dicussed, and the good doctor has already been tagged in the thread

*EDIT: forget my inaccurate paraphrasing from memory
@16:13
(will add more as I find them)

Hello Mobulai
Servus Rainer,

I just saw the thread, and I remember Dr. Mitchell discussing exercise before/after diving as well in quite a few of his publicly online lectures (RF4, UTD, DAN).
What I remember clearst is "best" placment of Cardio is 24hrs+ before/after the dive.*

I will try and find you links and time stamps (but the entierity of the lectures are great as well, so maybe watch them in entierty)

Probably I can't add much more to what everyone has already dicussed, and the good doctor has already been tagged in the thread

*EDIT: forget my inaccurate paraphrasing from memory
@16:13
(will add more as I find them)
I guess Cardio 24 hour before the scuba dive will not be the last word to this topic .
And there may also be commercial interest in research on this topic .

Greetings Rainer

I remember TSandM saying that she thought that walking your gear from the car to the dive was exercise enough

I definitely agree

Back
Top Bottom