New In Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey y'all! Me and my husband are new to Pacific diving and cant wait to get in the water! We're going to be staying in the Big Sur area for about the next 3 months if all goes as planned and we are looking forward to some GREAT diving! We're experienced drysuit divers who are used to the 5-10 ft visibility of Texas lakes but we are new to the surf entry/exit. We have cave diving experience so the kelp canopy will be within our comfort level. We are located about 20 minutes from Point Lobos; does anyone want to go diving? :D

Hi Melissa, great to hear you've made your way to NorCal. While you're there, make sure you dive Point Lobos State Natural Reserve.

Hello Enrique! Great to hear from you! I was just thinking of you today when I said to Chris, "Enrique said we really HAVE to dive Point Lobos!" I think that was at least a couple years ago when we were having dinner at a swamp divers get-together! Well, we are finally here and ready to go! :newyear:

Welcome to NorCal! Surf entries/exits can be challenging on bad days, wintertime the kelp is dying or has already gone, less to get yourself wrapped up in, it's not as bad as that sounds, it breaks easily, just bend it in half and if your buddy has to extricate you, just stay still and let him/her handle it.
Today, for example, not a great day at a couple sites I looked at.
Do for sure get yourself to Lobos, reservations are usually not required weekdays and the boat ramp, although somewhat slippery, is a decent entry/exit point as far as Monterey standards go.
I recommend a boat dive too, maybe to get yourself acclimated to the 52 degree water.
Hope you enjoy living in California :)

Hey glad to see some fellow Central Texans out here in Monterey. I'm down for night dives during the week and anytime of day dives on the weekends. Shoot me a pm on here. Would love to dive with you and your husband.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom