NEW Hollis SMS KATANA sidemount system SNEAK PEAK!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I expect that Hollis would go with integrated weight pockets either on the wing (as per SMS50) or via the spine strap (like Razor or Stealth).

Can anyone update POST-DEMA?

He are some pics of the new Hollis katana sidemount diving rig

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1447120187076.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447120187076.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 390
  • uploadfromtaptalk1447120226501.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447120226501.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 413
  • uploadfromtaptalk1447120331527.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447120331527.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 555
I expect that Hollis would go with integrated weight pockets either on the wing (as per SMS50) or via the spine strap (like Razor or Stealth).

Can anyone update POST-DEMA?
If you look at image 2 that johnnywylff posted you can see a flap (Hollis logo on it). That is the flap for the weight pocket that sits behind the pad.

Is it bad that I think I'm in love with a sidemount rig? I like my Aquamundo, but I'm looking for just a little more lift, and I think this is the ticket... BTW, if you are looking for a GREAT travel rig, I have hauled my Aquamundo all over Asia and put it thru the paces in Coron (and on a guy that's 155kg, and squeezing thru bulkheads, that's saying a lot)... Anyone know when the Katana is being released?

I asked Edd about the Katana as I know he has a few dives on one and he said the DEMA prototype was going to have a few mods done to it before production. He seems to really like it for warm water alu-tank diving. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it and am anxious to try one out.

Ah well, if the video they just released at cave adventurers is the best it can do, then it's not worth investing in... My opinion at least.

Seeing Edd with AL tanks in Florida makes me think that this rig sucks with steel tanks... I wonder if he actually likes it.

My impression is that it was mainly designed for aluminum tanks. There was a video with Edd in Hp 100's a while back and I think he did this to show what it looked like with aluminum 80's.

I've seen several of the prototypes over the past seven months. Each version is more refined, correcting deficiencies, like the yet to be removed wholly unnecessary dump at the butt. This rig shows promise. Edd dove it with Genesis HP100s and two stages. I imagine the casual diver will rarely need to carry more.

Personally, I dive the SMS75. The more dive it the less I like it. I value opinions from experienced divers, like Bamafan. He dives the Armadillo, and I really want to try one in the water for cave diving steel tanks and a couple stages.

I don't see one SM rig doing it all. I'm really looking for a new NoFL cave rig, and warm water rig. The Katana my fit that bill. I'll definitely give it consideration. I would like a couple dives in a wetsuit, with Al tanks, before purchasing.

just wanted to continue this thread a bit. I'm waiting for the video and pix from my buddies, but I dove the final prototype of the Katana with Edd this past weekend in a 5mm wetsuit and HP120's. It has enough lift for that with 1 stage, and an O2 bottle, but barely. Not something I would be comfortable taking into open water since I was not able to keep my head above water without sculling, but it was enough to maintain buoyancy at depth and during deco. This one measured roughly 36lbs of lift and I used every bit that it had. If it had another 5lbs of lift, I would replace my Nomad with it in a heartbeat, and any of you that actually know me, know that I have a major aversion to Hollis....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom