NEW Hollis SMS KATANA sidemount system SNEAK PEAK!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are two trends in sidemount rig; warm-water (aluminum tank) and cold-water (steel tanks).

The Razor was developed from a concept using an MSR Hydromedary bag for buoyancy, mounted onto/over a basic harness with lumbar and shoulder plates. It was the first commercial sidemount in that warm-water ('English style') trend.

Yes, it set a precedent by being the first... and all credit to Steve and HP for their innovation.

However, to belittle all other warm-water rigs as 'copies' of the Razor seems pedantic and short-sighted.

Do people say "Sigh...just another Scubapro Classic" every time a manufacturer releases a jacket-style BCD? LOL Do they spout plagarism drivel every time a company releases a new donut or horseshoe wing? No... they do not. It would be puerile...

The Razor was hugely innovative. But evolution means building on what's already there and works, not starting from fresh. Sidemount is evolving. The basic principles and concepts become a foundation. Companies try new innovations. Some work, some fail. What works stays. What fails is consigned to history. As the evolution progresses, based on proven foundations, the innovations become fewer and less drastic.

I'm interested to see what innovations the Hollis Katana has to offer. Only time will tell whether they become accepted foundations for future evolution, or not.

Nice looking rig if you ask me. Sitting in a product seminar earlier there will be some minor changes.
Tail dump and a dump for the shoulder being one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks interesting. I've been considering one of these lightweight systems for travel ... my Nomad works fine at home, diving a drysuit with steel cylinders, but it's a bit bulky and more than I need for diving someplace like the Red Sea, where I'm in a 3mm wetsuit and using AL80's. I'd been considering a Stealth ... but I may just wait till I can get ahold of one of these now. Thanks for the heads-up, Andy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Looks pretty slick, can't wait to get my hands on one and check it out. Chances are I'd stick to my LTZ though....I'm one of those "if it ain't broke..."

Does any one know if there are weight pockets/pouches attached to this rig similiar to the SMS 50 or do you have to thread the weights directly to the harness or add weight pockets to the harness? Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom