new here.. looking for advice on my first gear selection plz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 'floppy' tank isn't really related to a back inflate vs jacket style, although it may refl;ect a BCD that was too big. (In fact, if anything, I would expect the BI to make the tank less 'floppy', since the wing, when inflated, should support it.) But, the good news is, you tried it, and your decision to go jacket is reinforced. I am not sure exactly what you mean here. Do you mean the primary second stage hose ran under your arm, in addition to the alternate second stage hose? Just curious. What particular brands, other than Aeris, have you been looking at so far, and what is the basis for your brand preferences? (Also, if you are going jacket, you might find a lot of relatively new, used gear, on eBay, or Craigslist, or through your LDS, to consider.)

It was the second stage hose that goes under arm as Keyshunter suggested. As for Brands I know he deals in the following brands: Atomic, Sherwood, Titan, Bare, Aqualung, Zeagle Akona, Genesis. He does not deal in Aeris, ScubaPro, Oceanic, Suunto and I believe also Cressi and Mares but not sure on the latter two. I have been looking pretty hard into the Oceanic computers and have decided that I will indeed get one of them. As for the BCD all the stuff he has in the LDS is mainly higher priced stuff. Not sure if he is "only stocking the best" to keep profit margin higher or not. as for reg/octo I am indifferent as to which to pick at this time..

NubaScoob,

Why not buy the Best gear at the Best price?

Scubapro: Glide Pro w/ Air Ii, Mk25/S600 & XP10 3 gauge console.

PM me for quote.

that is quite a nice set of gear but much more than what I need to start out with. I don't think I need to go all out with ScubaPro stuff this early in the game. I think it will be better for me to start with a mid or even lower level set of gear so I can "make those mistakes" now before I decide what to really blow my wad on :) That being said I am looking to get a full life support system for under $1000 including a computer. I may be buying an Atom 2.0 with AI from someone on here used for much cheaper than what they usually go for so more to come on that. so then I should only need a BCD, Reg (1st and 2nd), and an Octo. I will also be buying a new tank but that will come in a few weeks probably and will be be from the LDS as I like one of the ones they have there already..

Why not just buy quality gear ( SCUBAPRO ) once at the price you can afford ( $1000 )?

it is quite likely he also tried a Sherwood Maximus regulator, which uses an underarm hose for the primary.
Thanks, I was wondering. Haven't tried it, as the only Sherwood I dive is my very 'mature' Brut.

Why not just buy quality gear ( SCUBAPRO ) once at the price you can afford ( $1000 )?

Because he can get just as good a quality gear at his LDS, the same one it would be nice to have when he needs advice, service, a quick tweak on his reg or a loaner regs if his needs to be in for service.

Because he can get just as good a quality gear at his LDS, the same one it would be nice to have when he needs advice, service, a quick tweak on his reg or a loaner regs if his needs to be in for service.

Yes I also feel that it would be best to get my regs from the LDS for this reason and the Air Integrated Computer is already on the horizon so that leaves the BCD as the only other main component left..

Ok so I have the computer covered officially now. I bought the Oceanic Atom 2.0 from Drako here in the forum classifieds. Cant wait to get it!! now for the BCD... any recommendations on a decent jacket BCD that will have pockets in the rear to trim my weight distribution?

You can never go wrong with SCUBAPRO gear. Wont dive anything else when diving.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so I have good news.. I bought my gear! I ended up getting my BCD and all my regs through my LDS. This is what I got:

Atomic Z2X first and second stage
Aqualung Calypso Titan Octo
Aqualung Pro LT Jacket Style BCD with Weight Integration

The Aqualung Pro LT BCD fits me very well and I still have a good range of adjustment on it. It is weight integrated as I wanted and also has rear weight trim pockets so I can make adjustments as needed. The only thing it does not have that I wish it did was an auto adjusting cummerbund.. but I am still happy with it. I decided on the Atomic Z2X first and second stage for my reg as I know Atomic is one of the major players out there and they make nothing but good quality stuff. I figured if I was gonna go big on any one item, that should probably be it. It wasn't much more than some of the Sherwoods and was actually cheaper than the Aqualung reg I was looking at. The fact that Atomic has a 2 year / 300 dive service interval though is what sold me as that means I will save more money in the long run so over a period of time, the more expensive reg cost the same as a cheaper one. Since I got such a nice primary reg though I had to go a little cheaper on the octo and got the Aqualung Calypso/Titan Octo. It was fairly inexpensive, and Looks like its pretty well made. I am sure it will get the job done for now until I can afford to upgrade it to an Atomic octo equal to the Z2X or maybe I may do the Air2 integration option to streamline. I still want to match my regs but ths was a better choice for me I think for right now. The only thing I still need/want to get is an analog console to back up my air integrated computer so I am still in the market for that.. oh and a safety sausage :).

So what do you guys think of my selections so far? comments, questions, and concerns welcome...

ok so I have good news.. I bought my gear! I ended up getting my BCD and all my regs through my LDS. This is what I got:

Atomic Z2X first and second stage
Aqualung Calypso Titan Octo
Aqualung Pro LT Jacket Style BCD with Weight Integration

The Aqualung Pro LT BCD fits me very well and I still have a good range of adjustment on it. It is weight integrated as I wanted and also has rear weight trim pockets so I can make adjustments as needed. The only thing it does not have that I wish it did was an auto adjusting cummerbund.. but I am still happy with it. I decided on the Atomic Z2X first and second stage for my reg as I know Atomic is one of the major players out there and they make nothing but good quality stuff. I figured if I was gonna go big on any one item, that should probably be it. It wasn't much more than some of the Sherwoods and was actually cheaper than the Aqualung reg I was looking at. The fact that Atomic has a 2 year / 300 dive service interval though is what sold me as that means I will save more money in the long run so over a period of time, the more expensive reg cost the same as a cheaper one. Since I got such a nice primary reg though I had to go a little cheaper on the octo and got the Aqualung Calypso/Titan Octo. It was fairly inexpensive, and Looks like its pretty well made. I am sure it will get the job done for now until I can afford to upgrade it to an Atomic octo equal to the Z2X or maybe I may do the Air2 integration option to streamline. I still want to match my regs but ths was a better choice for me I think for right now. The only thing I still need/want to get is an analog console to back up my air integrated computer so I am still in the market for that.. oh and a safety sausage :).

So what do you guys think of my selections so far? comments, questions, and concerns welcome...

I think you have made the Beaver guy very sad... I am very concerned. Is there any way you can return it? You should have bought from him... he has 1 million dives....:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom