New Halcyon Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also noticing that all of the fasteners/rings that I can seen seem to be polymer. The O2 cylinder looks like a fiber-wound composite type. I would not be surprised if this was designed for a low magnetic profile ....
Pretty sure that is a carbon fiber sticker wrap to make it look cool, or maybe an actual CF tank, but also to just make it look cool. The people that need low-mag profile items, don't shop through flyers.

I also find it entertaining that if someone is trying to imply "cool and high tech" it's made with polymer. If it's a "cheap piece of junk," it's called plastic. Not directed at you specifically, it's pretty universal, myself included.

There is also some weird photoshop going on, especially with that hand mounted light. Feels very much like it should have been released on April 1st.

Saw the post this morning on Halcyon's Instagram page. Looks like they are teasing a new rebreather design / product line. Just from the picture alone it looks like a chest-mount design (which, of course, wouldn't shock anyone given how many new chest-mount models have entered the market recently). Anyone seen this being tested in the wild? Is this just a play to capture market share or will this be a new design altogether from what we've seen from other manufacturers? Curious to see this thing unveiled with specs.
The electronics are in partnership with a Swiss based company thats doing some cool things,

This patent filing might shine more light on the rebreather design - assuming that the patent describes the rebreather (and the timeline/concept art do align) it seems like it's basically a double-hose reg directly connected to a counterlung/scrubber, with an optional open-circuit mode. The Halcyon-branded thing in the center of the chest would be the 'gas distribution block', which has an ADV and a switch to go between exhalation into the counterlung vs exhalation to atmosphere!

View attachment 821911
Thanks for the link. I read (most of) the patent application, and it sounds like an interesting device.

In one of their vids, they show it.

You spin the outer ring 90 degrees-ish, to bail.

InDepth article about the Halcyon Symbios:

InDepth article about the Halcyon Symbios:
Like the option of a bov w/o adding weight to the loop.

Like the option of a bov w/o adding weight to the loop.
Actually I am not sure what happens if there is an issue with the flapper valves.
Additionally, if in Bailout mode the ADV is used as a "second stage", the WOB might be quite high...
Both points not so nice, if CO2 is the reason for bailing...

If you have a twinset on your back, the rebreathers bailout isn't your last resort anyways.

Even single tank, you'll have another reg somewhere.

The main reason for a BOV is, that in case of CO2 you don't need to switch regs.
Under this point of view the BOV of the Symbios might be useless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom