New Halcyon 10W HID lighthead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yup, I know the feeling. I actually built my own "helios". Not too hard actually. In fact, the wife wants to produce them and sell them online after she saw the price halcyon wants for 'em. I'm still mulling it over, looks like the stealth light is the same idea too.

is made of black abs tubing with a 6 amp hour NiMh battery pack. It's 2.5" in diameter and about 10" long. I started another one in delrin and seems to be going pretty good, just a lot of milling. I make the lids out of 3/4" acrylic. It's a little longer than I would like, but that's because I got a stellar deal on sub C batteries. I figured it was worth it since it was the first one and if I ruined the battery pack it wasn't as big of a deal. But so far no problems, so the next ones are going to be even smaller, using the smaller battery pack. I'll post some pictures this afternoon when I get home.:D

Have you done any pressure testing? seems abs is pretty light and likely won't take much depth before deforming (and crushing soon after).

Tom

I thought about that as well, it has been down to 140' w/o any problems so far. I think that because its such a small diameter and length, it holds up ok. I'd like to test it deeper, but I'm just beginning my tech training, so haven't been deeper, yet. Then I was going to build a pressure pot, but decided that took too much time, plus I'm switching over to good ol' delrin anyways.

Mike:)

...j/k

Actually there is a plastics supplier 2 blocks from where I work. I happened to walk in and ask if they have delrin, and sure enough. They have given me the pieces for free so far, so its been nice, but I haven't worked out pricing in large quantities yet.

Mike

The new light is very large in comparison to other heads (similar to DR 10W focusable). Seems like a good light, but it sounds like the price will be a little higher.
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom