New Halcyon 10W HID lighthead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Halcyon are releasing a newly designed 10W HID lighthead, after some quality control issues in the current design, associated with the light not "striking" due to the bulb being too far from the ballast in the circuit. Apparently this is a random problem, and lights either do or don't suffer from it, and it requires testing to determine.

Here's the info:

http://www.halcyon.net/lights/10watt_lighthead.shtml

mine had the striking problem. I sent it in last week and am told it's being replaced. I wonder if I'll get this new style? Sure hope so as it also looks more rugged than mine.

Tom

Tom,

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the new lighthead if you receive one.

Also, did your light have the striking problem since new, or did it develop it over time? I've only dived mine 4 times, and haven't noticed a problem with it yet.

Ben

bengiddins once bubbled...
Tom,

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the new lighthead if you receive one.

Also, did your light have the striking problem since new, or did it develop it over time? I've only dived mine 4 times, and haven't noticed a problem with it yet.

Ben

It had it since new but seems to have gotten worse over time. Another intereswting thing is that just because it won't strike on the surface doesn't mean it won't strike at 150' or so.

Tom

I've been waiting awhile for it to come out. I spoke to a Halcyon rep a few weeks ago about it, but he had no info on it. I didn't see any specs on its size, but it looks pretty bulky. I wonder why. All they did was move the Welch-Allyn bulb/ballast to the front and add a twist reflector. It does look more robust, though. Also, the reflector looks smaller than on the old test-tube versions, I wonder if thats going to have an affect on the light output?

Halcyon/EE usually posts stuff on their sites about six months before it's ready to actually ship.

Or, in the case of the Cave I manual, two and a half years.

Roak

Nope they sure didnt.I emailed them back asking for a price with no reply so far.Im looking into getting me a stealth light with the new 10w head.Still trying to convince my wife what a good investment it is.

lal7176 once bubbled...
EE recived the lightheads yesterday and they are ready to ship.Whos gonna be the first one to buy one?
I was told the same thing when I tried to order the new SS cam straps. Six months later when they started shipping them I had long since given up and ordered the old plastic ones.

Believe me, I'd love to be wrong on this!

FYI, another nice light to consider:

http://www.sarind.com/acatalog/complete_lighting_systems.html

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom