New gear questions...brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just don't get talked into anything by a salesman who's sole purpose and interest is selling you something. Dive shop owners, salesmen, instructors, etc. are not necessarily knowledgeable about all the various products out there. Do your own research, and talk with people (here, for example) who have no vested interest in your choices. There's a lot experience packed into one of these boards with a lot opinions. These opinions and discussions (OK, arguments :D) are very useful for people to view the pro's and con's of various subjects -- especially equipment.

There are many products out there that can be less affordable, better quality, and will adapt (or not need replacing) regardless of the type of diving you choose to do in the future. There is gear out there that can facilitate poor diving habits and lead to less enjoyment than can be had other ways (albeit, you wouldn't even know it). Good research can save you a ton of money and increase your enjoyment (that you may not otherwise have), both in the short run and the long run.

Good luck.

Mike

PS. Beware of "gimmicky" looking equipment. Often what appears to make sense and seems "crafty" is actually totally unnecessary and only adds up to a convulation. Keep things simple (KISS) and efficient.

Sailfish,
Follow the advice of LARGE_DIVER. That is to go to SCUBADIVING.COM and do some research on your own. That is EXACTLY what I did and thru lots of exhaustive research this is what I ended up purchasing:

1) Beauchat VX-10 Iceberg regulator with same Octopus
2) Genesis Recon BCD
3) Oceanic Data Plus Pro computer
4) White's Dry suit
5) Princeton flashlights
6) Tusa X-pert split fins
7) Other neoprene based equipment made by Deep Sea
8) Tusa all black mask (forgot name)
9) Sherwood foldable snorkel

So as you can see I am not an individual that BUYS specifically all of one brand since not one company CAN MAKE THE BEST of everything. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Just like when you buy home theater/stereo equipment. SONY might be the best when it comes to building video recording stuff but when it comes to their TELEVISIONS they are crap. Then of course you would buy a TOSHIBA or even an HITACHI.

So again study, study and do more studying as you will be the one carrying and wearing this stuff for many years to come. If you buy something that someone else suggests without YOU BEING THE ONE TO TRY THE STUFF ON then you will end up having a MISERABLE diving experience and THAT IS FOR SURE SOMETHING THAT YOU WANT TO AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Good Luck on your findings

Scubakid

............unless you're like me and don't have decent dive shop around that sells a lot of various gear to try on and use. About 95% of the gear I own isn't sold locally or used by any other divers in my area (several hundred miles). Sometimes, a well educated "leap of faith" can produce exceptional results. It just depends on who you learn from :wink:. Unfortunately, I spents thousands of dollars on less-than-optimal gear (ie. junk).

There's a lot of variables to consider.

:)

Mike

........or you can do what I did.
Spoke with LDS's, went thru several web sites that rate scuba gear such as:

1) Divernet
2) Dive Inn
3) Rodales
4) Skin Diver - ****ty site though
5) Scuba Board

.......and from these I formed myself an opinion on which gear to purchase aaaaaaaaand then I rented/borrowed gear while doing some dives, especially gear that in most sites (such as this one) seemed to be preferred, as I had discussed before here they are, Dive Rite, Zeagle etc.......

Then I formed a TRUTHFUL OPINION as to what IS REALLY good and what's mediocre.

After all of this, which as you can probably imagine took a few months, I purchased my gear online with LEISURE PRO. Not only did I save a bundle of money, $2500 Canadian dollars, but the service was to say the least, EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!! And it was delivered to my door. How can you beat that.

No LDS trying to sell me WHAT THEY CARRY. You need to remember that the reason that they are ONLY ALLOWED to have a certain brand(s) is that the supplier will not allow "other brands" to be sold alongside what they already have in their shop. In other words they get some discounts to carry a certain brand. That limits your potential BUYING POWER and I was NOT ONE to be limited. So shopping online seemed the proper answer.

The gear that I also purchased, as you will see, is all top rated. The thing that is really important is that you take the time to do the research. Patience is a good thing especially when it comes to buying stuff that will some day SAVE your life.

When it

........or you can do what I did.
Spoke with LDS's, went thru several web sites that rate scuba gear such as:

1) Divernet
2) Dive Inn
3) Rodales
4) Skin Diver - ****ty site though
5) Scuba Board

.......and from these I formed myself an opinion on which gear to purchase aaaaaaaaand then I rented/borrowed gear while doing some dives, especially gear that in most sites (such as this one) seemed to be preferred, as I had discussed before here they are, Dive Rite, Zeagle etc.......

Then I formed a TRUTHFUL OPINION as to what IS REALLY good and what's mediocre.

After all of this, which as you can probably imagine took a few months, I purchased my gear online with LEISURE PRO. Not only did I save a bundle of money, $2500 Canadian dollars, but the service was to say the least, EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!! And it was delivered to my door. How can you beat that.

No LDS trying to sell me WHAT THEY CARRY. You need to remember that the reason that they are ONLY ALLOWED to have a certain brand(s) is that the supplier will not allow "other brands" to be sold alongside what they already have in their shop. In other words they get some discounts to carry a certain brand. That limits your potential BUYING POWER and I was NOT ONE to be limited. So shopping online seemed the proper answer.

The gear that I also purchased, as you will see, is all top rated. The thing that is really important is that you take the time to do the research. Patience is a good thing especially when it comes to buying stuff that will some day SAVE your life.

When it comes to money PATIENCE IS A GOOD THING.

Scubakid

Make sure you understand the motives (sometimes behind the scenes) of some of those testing agencies. Sometimes, they don't cover all of the quality gear out there either. Cross referrence everything with other research methods.

Sometimes (most times), things are not as they appear :wink: :).

Mike

Continuing to do research on what equipment is the best in quality, usability and value and theerefore the best for me. I can't thank you all enough for all of your input. When I get ready to take the plunge (pun intended) I will be light years ahead in my research thanks to your insightful advice. And I'll post back when I make the decision.

Thanks again for everything.

I have been diving since the start of the summer (not that long). I am very happy with the equipment I purchased and am very happy with it. I am happy that my LDS gave true opinions. At the start of my diving I really didn't know what I wanted just what I wanted to do.

I am happy to report that since then I read everything I can (good and bad) everywhere I can (Internet, Magazines etc) and have found that what my LDS sold me is exacly what I would buy if I had to do it all over again.

With that said the suppliers that are on my A list are:

Dive-Rite (I have Reg and BC)
ScubaPro (Have Reg)
Poseidon (Have the Jetstream/ODIN Reg)
Bare (Drysuite, Wetsuite)
Tusa (Mask and Snorkel)

For the fins I have 2. I have Mares Quattros and Turttle Fins. (for wet and dry)

Buying the first set of gear is always a problem, especially if you've just started diving:

1. You don't really know your future diving profile (leisure, tech, warm, cold, salt, fresh and so on).
2. You don't know how much time you'll really spend diving.
3. You don't know what brands are better than others or what specs are more important to you.

So you are really in a mess.

The answer is study. Ask as many questions as possible, browse the web and talk to people, divers first and LDS(s) second. you'll find there are many other guys ot there that have, or had, the same questions.

My final result was that I went out and bought good equipment (I hope) but not the most expensive one. I bought a BC that will allow me to go tech in the future (back inflation) but I will probably have to replace it if I really go into diving deep with doubles. I am not concerened - I will cross the bridge when I get there. I got a nice balanced Mares Reg+Octo, a Scubapro wetsuit, Cressi fins and 5 mm booties. later on I also got a hooded vest and a Vyper computer. Some of it will last longer and some will have to be replaced in the future. The good thing about it is that it enables me to dive safely and with ease.

And if you want some names, I think that a Zeagle ranger is a nice BCD, Mares MR12 and V16 are nice balanced (non expensive), easy breathing regs. Other than the computer, these are, possibly, the more expensive parts of the deal. You can consider buying a piece at a time, although there are some nice packages out there.

I will insist on trying on at least the parts that have to fit you (that you have to wear). Than you can check pricing over the net and decide where to do your shopping.

Hope it helps.

Ari :)

Help me understand tech diving and the need o benefit of a back inflation BC.

Living near a lake with several WWII planes at the bottom and being only 3-4 hrs from the Graveyard of the Atlantic with numerous sunken ships, I would love to do more exploring since I am not near too many tropical reefs and fishes. Not so much to look for treasure but just to witness history.

Is that considered "tech diving" or only if I enter the structures?

Back
Top Bottom