New gear question--impact of chlorinated pool water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba gear is pretty durable even in repeated pool use. It's the neoprene equipment that you have to worry about. Booties especially take a beating, as you usually have to stretch those to get them off your feet. Repeated pool exposure will gray your black neoprene, dull your colors, and make the material feel a bit more coarse.

My first pair of booties and gloves lasted under a year with combined pool and ocean use (at least 1 pool and 2 ocean dives per week), before they became non-ocean worthy (ie. big leaky holes).

You can try soaking your neoprene in fresh water overnight to really seep all the chlorine out of the material. (place a weight on top of it to fully submerge it)

I've been diving a couple hours almost everyday all summer in my pool and I can't tell that any of my gear is suffering except my Lycra skin, which was already pretty worn out.
I'm reluctant to practice with my new drysuit, however, since I'm not too sure what it might do to the drysuit.
My BC is old and getting replaced so it's going to become my "pool", "teaching" BC anyway.My husband, an instructor, has an old BC that's pretty faded from so much pool time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom