New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see how this could be an attractive backup. Good scuba capability. Plenty of features for others. I would probably go for it over the Atmos Mission One. We're all still waiting for the Deep 6 firmware upgrade

We would position the Garmin Descent G1 as a value priced monochrome dive computer that should look attractive to technical divers seeking a very compact backup computer. The Shearwater Peregrine is substantially larger color dive computer that most people find has easier to use buttons that would better appeal to technical divers wearing heavy gloves, especially drysuit divers.

We would position the Garmin Descent G1 as a value priced monochrome dive computer that should look attractive to technical divers looking for a very compact backup computer. The Shearwater Peregrine is substantially larger color dive computer that most people find has easier to use buttons that would better appeal to technical divers wearing heavy gloves, especially drysuit divers.

Now that the have a proven model, they can really add diving to any if there platforms. It is basically an app now with full tech abilities. Will be a ton of options for divers moving forward. I bet we an inreach model with fully diving computer benefits at some point.

Now that the have a proven model, they can really add diving to any if there platforms. It is basically an app...

Certainly the firmware is stable and probably relatively easy to propagate to most of their other platforms, but the determining factor is what they have to do to the case and pressure sensor hardware to make it suitable for saltwater immersion to 100 meters - 330 feet. We are told that dealing with the pressure/depth issues presented significant additional challenges (and additional costs) seen in the Mk1 and Mk2 series. I suspect more likely is the next generations take the direction Garmin has with the G1 series, purpose-built designs specifically for diving rather than adaptations of existing sportswatch platforms as they did with the Mk1 and Mk2 series (from the fēnix platform.)

Now that the have a proven model, they can really add diving to any if there platforms. It is basically an app now with full tech abilities. Will be a ton of options for divers moving forward. I bet we an inreach model with fully diving computer benefits at some point.
app and some slightly different hardware. inreach hardware and smartwatch platform are completely different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom