New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the G1 and wear it as an everyday watch. It's nice to have a backup dive computer that I don't have to remember to pack. I find the SMS notifications are helpful when I don't have my phone on me though emails tend to come in batches rather than in real time. Not a huge deal.

I like keeping an eye on my heart rate during bike rides but otherwise I don't use the fitness features other than knowing I am achieving a decent daily step count. I am not sure how they can help me reach my fitness goals but perhaps I should dig deeper into that. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

As for GPS of dive sites, you have to switch the watch to dive mode in order to log entry and exit points. As a backup computer, I don't switch the watch before a dive so it doesn't record the GPS numbers. I use the GPS plotter on my boat so that's not an issue for me but it's something to be aware of if you're looking for that capability.

Even though documentation is sparse, I do think it is an intentionally included feature specific to the dive watches. As far as I am aware (I've worn every Fenix model from the 5 to the Epix 2), none of the other surface focused watches react to a gesture by switching screens during an activity, they only respond by changing the backlighting .
My point about it not being an intended feature was not that they didn't do something different with the dive line. Rather, I think it's a side effect of the double tap. Like I said, I could get the dive screen to change only if I had double tap sensitivity set to high. On low or medium, it doesn't seem to work. So, I'm thinking that on high sensitivity, the watch interprets the flick as a tap.

The only mention of gesture I could find is in the Backlight settings, where it will turn on the backlight by raising your wrist.

As a backup computer, if I'm not going to use all the fancy Garmin sports apps, is there any reason not to get something like the Deep6? I guess there's the smart phone features too to consider.
Apart from the sports apps, the smart phone features are pretty good as well. Some limitations with Apple Devices, as Apple wants to save some features for the Apple Watch line, but from my perspective nothing significant. I get alerts for things that I need, and it's customizable to which ones I get.

The GPS feature is pretty good as well. While I do use my boat GPS to get to general spots, I may find that once the boat is positioned, I'm off of the most interesting features. The Entry/Exit locations can be helpful for finding new spots, etc.

Even without all the smart/activity/gps features, the Garmin line is quite capable. I certainly don't see where I'll progress in my diving beyond what it can do any time soon.

Went diving with the G1 a couple days ago using it as a backup to my Petrel for CCR to a max depth of 164'. The double tap feature works but seems to only cycle the screens in one direction and once you get to the last screen it goes no further and you need to use the buttons to get the screens to go back the other direction or to the first dive screen.

Appears to lineup pretty closely with the Petrel regarding depth and required stops.

Went diving with the G1 a couple days ago using it as a backup to my Petrel for CCR to a max depth of 164'. The double tap feature works but seems to only cycle the screens in one direction and once you get to the last screen it goes no further and you need to use the buttons to get the screens to go back the other direction or to the first dive screen.
I don't use the CCR functions, so perhaps that is different, but this sounds different than what I see.

The double tap does only work in one direction, but on mine in both single gas and multi-gas modes when I get to the last one, it goes back to the first screen with another double tap.

I don't use the CCR functions, so perhaps that is different, but this sounds different than what I see.

The double tap does only work in one direction, but on mine in both single gas and multi-gas modes when I get to the last one, it goes back to the first screen with another double tap.
Perhaps I didn't tap it forcefully enough at the last screen but, truth be told, I was dealing with a stuck inflator and had to do without any BC inflation for most of the dive...

Just a follow up note for people looking at the G1:

The battery life indicator on the watch is somewhat misleading. For example, if it shows several days of battery life that only applies to surface activities, not diving. Dive mode (even a relatively few short dives) will kill the remaining battery. If you plan on relying on the watch for diving, you should make sure it has a good charge for the day.

I don't know if this applies to the G1 Solar (solar charging is pretty slow, I hear, so I don't think it will help much).

The battery life indicator on the watch is somewhat misleading. For example, if it shows several days of battery life that only applies to surface activities, not diving. Dive mode (even a relatively few short dives) will kill the remaining battery. If you plan on relying on the watch for diving, you should make sure it has a good charge for the day.
I don’t have a G1, I have an MK2s. However, I suspect the same applies.

Without a doubt, diving activities will consume the battery charge at a much faster rate. When starting a dive activity, my MK2s will let me know how much dive time I should expect. Does the G1 do the same?

As an example, my watch is currently at 53% which is about 4 days. If I start a dive, the initial screen has a battery life indicator at the top. It alternates between 58% and 8 hours. So, unless I run the battery down real low, I could probably do a dive or two.

I don’t have a G1, I have an MK2s. However, I suspect the same applies.

Without a doubt, diving activities will consume the battery charge at a much faster rate. When starting a dive activity, my MK2s will let me know how much dive time I should expect. Does the G1 do the same?

As an example, my watch is currently at 53% which is about 4 days. If I start a dive, the initial screen has a battery life indicator at the top. It alternates between 58% and 8 hours. So, unless I run the battery down real low, I could probably do a dive or two.
I did a 25 dive week (~1hr dives) with only 2 charges of my Mk2i.

When starting a dive activity, my MK2s will let me know how much dive time I should expect. Does the G1 do the same?
I just put the watch in dive mode and it shows a battery icon and 25 hours so it looks like it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom