New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing that I feel is the most unique to the Garmin series of dive computers is the ability to activate the Garmin inreach mini remotely on the surface without having to take the inreach out of its waterproof case. A couple of things less to worry about when you are in a jam.
I use my mini year round with backcountry and mtn biking. Most places my family and I camp doesn’t have cell service. Being able to run it from the wrist is great. I just need to figure out which one and it will back up my perdix ai.

I use my mini year round with backcountry and mtn biking. Most places my family and I camp doesn’t have cell service. Being able to run it from the wrist is great. I just need to figure out which one and it will back up my perdix ai.
Go with the Solar model. I know it costs more but it comes with the quick release strap and the extended strap that you can use when wearing a wetsuit. Neither of those are an option with the non-solar model. Trust me, I figured that out after I went with the non-solar model.

Go with the Solar model. I know it costs more but it comes with the quick release strap and the extended strap that you can use when wearing a wetsuit. Neither of those are an option with the non-solar model. Trust me, I figured that out after I went with the non-solar model.
Thank you, that is great information

Size comparison between the Garmin Descent G1 & Shearwater Teric. On a side note I will say that the Teric is hands down a way better dive computer if you only focus on the dive functionality. If however you just use your dive computer to monitor depth and NDL, then the G1 is fine. This isn't a review post so I won't go into the pros and cons of each computer. Personally I use the G1 as a backup should my trusty Teric fail + I use it for all the other smartwatch capabilities.
View attachment 719900
View attachment 719901

Nice to see that size comparison. No surprise that the Teric would be the winner between these two, but has the G1 performed well in the water for you? Just learning the functions on land, it seems pretty good for what it is — a mini dive computer grafted onto a sports watch. I intend to use it as a backup for my Peregrine while diving as well as continuing to use it as my daily fitness/activity tracker.

Nice to see that size comparison. No surprise that the Teric would be the winner between these two, but has the G1 performed well in the water for you? Just learning the functions on land, it seems pretty good for what it is — a mini dive computer grafted onto a sports watch. I intend to use it as a backup for my Peregrine while diving as well as continuing to use it as my daily fitness/activity tracker.
I previously used the Peregrine myself (it was my first dive computer) and switched to the Teric a few months ago for want of a compass amongst other features. Strangely you can fit more info onto the Teric screen due to the higher resolution, though I do miss the cool look of the larger computer, also the bungee mount option was great.

I'm dealing with what appears to be a cyst in my maxillary sinus at the moment (waiting for another MRI) which keeps causing me problems after diving, so I've only managed to get a couple of dives in with the G1 so far.

In terms of performance in the water, after glancing at both computers, the depth, NDL and temperature etc. are pretty much identical. The screen on the G1 is high contrast and despite looking like a late 90s calculator, is pretty easy to read under water, though not quite as sharp as the Teric. Note that I wear them on opposite wrists and the G1 is under my wetsuit in order to be able to track heart rate. As mentioned previously, beyond those initial dive values, the G1 falls a little short since it doesn't appear to offer any precise insight into things like surface GF or GF99, though it uses the same deco algorithm as the shearwater. There is an N2 loading bar on the left, though I don't find it too useful. Both computers are set to 35/85 GF.

I use my G1 as a backup computer and hence switch all the dive alerts / notifications off on it, however I noticed that unless I set it to dive mode before I descend, it does not log the GPS co-ordinates for the dive. A little annoying as I wanted it to be as hands off as possible due to simply being a backup, however I will have to remember to carry out that extra step after prepping the Teric.

I imported the dive logs from both computers into Subsurface for comparison:

Shearwater Teric:
1651373310406.jpeg

Garmin Descent G1
1651373342338.jpeg

Happy to help with further info if needed.

The thing that I feel is the most unique to the Garmin series of dive computers is the ability to activate the Garmin inreach mini remotely on the surface without having to take the inreach out of its waterproof case. A couple of things less to worry about when you are in a jam.

One small thing about this... At least on the mk2i, you cannot activate the inReach while your watch is still in dive mode. You also can't edit the end-dive-timeout while in dive mode. So if you did something like set your timeout to 10 minutes, then you have to wait a full 10 minutes on the surface before your watch exits the dive and makes the inReach available (or else you can pull it out of the waterproof case and manually activate it).

This is one of my gripes with the mk2i. I should be able to do one of:
  • Do something to end the dive NOW. This should only be available if the depth reading shows I'm at the surface.
  • Choose to change the end-dive-timeout mid-dive.
  • Activate the inReach while still in dive mode.
Is this behavior different on the G1?

I previously used the Peregrine myself (it was my first dive computer) and switched to the Teric a few months ago for want of a compass amongst other features. Strangely you can fit more info onto the Teric screen due to the higher resolution, though I do miss the cool look of the larger computer, also the bungee mount option was great.

I'm dealing with what appears to be a cyst in my maxillary sinus at the moment (waiting for another MRI) which keeps causing me problems after diving, so I've only managed to get a couple of dives in with the G1 so far.

In terms of performance in the water, after glancing at both computers, the depth, NDL and temperature etc. are pretty much identical. The screen on the G1 is high contrast and despite looking like a late 90s calculator, is pretty easy to read under water, though not quite as sharp as the Teric. Note that I wear them on opposite wrists and the G1 is under my wetsuit in order to be able to track heart rate. As mentioned previously, beyond those initial dive values, the G1 falls a little short since it doesn't appear to offer any precise insight into things like surface GF or GF99, though it uses the same deco algorithm as the shearwater. There is an N2 loading bar on the left, though I don't find it too useful. Both computers are set to 35/85 GF.

I use my G1 as a backup computer and hence switch all the dive alerts / notifications off on it, however I noticed that unless I set it to dive mode before I descend, it does not log the GPS co-ordinates for the dive. A little annoying as I wanted it to be as hands off as possible due to simply being a backup, however I will have to remember to carry out that extra step after prepping the Teric.

Yeah, I wish they'd put a compass in the Peregrine. Did you by any chance try out the compass on the G1?

Hi everyone, anyone has compared this watch with a typical d6i or stinger on the font size? I am considering to get one online for both dive and running use. As I sometimes find it a challenge to read my D6i underwater as I am slightly far sighted.
Unable to find anything on the font size or display comparison with other watch dive computers.

Thank you.

I have not since I don't use those two. But if you have a hard reading a small computer then this will be hard to read.

I have not since I don't use those two. But if you have a hard reading a small computer then this will be hard to read.
Thank you. Just that my eye sight is not really that bad. If the font display is larger than typical stinger or d6i then will be good.

Back
Top Bottom