New Gander Mountain close to TL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice store I even bought a couple of things. Prices are good.
Since we live on the west side of houston we still will be buying from our local shop unless we happen to be in the area. But overall experience at the store has been good. One draw back we have noticed since we have been in several times is lack of help which would be bad for new divers. But we have taken that as just being new to the houston market.

scubapro50:
Just received a card in the mail advertising that GANDER MOUNTAIN now has a complete line of scuba equipment to sell ...... they have made a deal with DIVERS DIRECT to run a dive shop inside their stores ....... they even enclosed a $25 off coupon on any scuba purchase. What I want to know will they match DIVERS DIRECT internet pricing at the local stores ?

Divers Direct is putting the stores in Gander Mountain under sub lease. Gander Mountain is having financial difficulties and is looking for ways to increase traffic and cut its overhead. This is a pilot operation, 5-6 stores. Most in the diving business expect it to fail. Mark your calenders for a year from now!

Stepping on my soap box....

We stopped by the one on I45 and I personally was NOT impressed. Diver's Direct was always sort of the Walmart of dive gear when I lived in S.FL and it still seems to be in the kiosk that they've set up inside Gander Mountain with the exception of the prices having gone WAY up. Soft lead was $3.00/lb!! The staff was nowhere to be found and personally I was way creeped out by all the stuffed dead animals peeking out at me from behind every corner. Ick. Do us all a favor and shop at your LDS or order stuff from Scubatoys (which is only a 3 hour drive for me so I've decided to consider it my "local" shop.

Stepping down from my soap box...

They are hiring instuctors and "anyone that knows anything about diving"...they were practically begging me to fill out an application because I took the time to help a guy pick out some fins since they didn't know what he needed. I said thanks but no thanks, but I guess if you need a job, stop by.

Does the local Gander Mountain stores match the Diver's Direct internet pricing ?

I think their prices are standard Divers Direct prices, which really aren't that good compared to many other online stores. I went back in today, a month after my first look, and I was much less impressed this time.

Seems the great deal they had on AL80 tanks ($129, including cap and boot) is gone, all the original price tags have new $159 stickers over them. So much for that.

The selection isn't all that good, sure there are a bazillion units of each item they carry but not really that many different items. For instance, all the dive lights I saw were halogen bulbs, no eLED or rechargeables.

I think they are still waiting on that compressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom