New game: Post what you just copied!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 (3) Broncos 10-3-0 Christmas certainly came early this year. First Kyle Boller gift wraps one, then fellow AFC West foes provide a cushion in the standings.

Solve.

1. -5-7-12+23-9+3= 2. -5-1+10+7-3= 3. 9+3-9-3-2+4=

4. 12-30-4+3+9-43= 5. 90+12+3-100-10= 6. -34-9+34+9-19=

Frater Infinitas

Was looking for old marine corps saying (Brothers forever) and forgot the spelling.
Sgt Carter is gonna kill me and Gomer for forgeting that one!

Standardization of Antibiotic Dosages for Captive Spiny Dogfish (Squalus acanthias)

041224.gif

Sending a You'll Have That comic in an email to a friend.

6: Gear Configuration: Alternatives to Being your Buddy's Keeper

The DIR school of diving holds that you should not dive with any diver who does not conform rigidly to the Hogarthian gear configuration, and indeed, the Hogarthian/DIR attitude to diving generally. The given reason for this is that unless you know your buddy's gear as well as your own, things may go wrong when you need to use it in a moment of crisis; and in any case, there's "only one right way" of doing anything.
Now the second proposition - there's "only one right way" of doing anything - is clearly false, e.g. in my own subject of mathematics there frequently are two valid proofs of the same Theorem, and furthermore both may be interesting and worth knowing - it's not always true that one is merely an inefficient version of the other. And yes, lives sometimes depend on getting the mathematics right. And yes, there are circumstances where DIR gear configuration is entirely inappropriate, e.g. nearly any British cavedive, which will be narrow enough that backmounted cylinders will not fit in the cave.

But the first proposition, that unless you know your buddy's gear as well as your own, things may go wrong when you need to use it, has a certain amount to be said for it. And yet, it is restrictive - am I really my buddy's keeper?

Now if you're terrified of solo cavediving, I think there's no escaping the fact that you must know absolutely everything about your buddy and stick closer to him than a leech. Because if you should happen to lose him, the resulting stress may cause you to panic, which will most likely cause your death. But if you are comfortable diving solo, there are alternatives, and here are a few.

Read's Buddy Postulates

Proposition 1. You may decide that you WILL NOT do any dive with a buddy that you would not be perfectly happy to do solo, and with the same gear configuration . This presumably implies that you will either take a buddy bottle or fully independent doubles when cavediving, so that you - on your own - have full 100% redundancy in your air supply. You must also make sure that the buddy bottle is not too small - it must be able to get you out of there, on its own, at all times. Ideally it should be the same size as one of your doubles cylinders. Proposition 1 also implies a certain caution about the ambitious choice of dive plans - am I happy to do the Titanic solo? If not, why am I doing it with a buddy?

Proposition 2. Compromising a little, you may decide that you will sometimes do dives with a buddy that you would be unhappy doing solo, but in that case you will be CAUTIOUS - perhaps (esp. if you think he's a MACHO buddy - that's the worst sign of impending danger), even as rigidly cautious as the DIR diver - in choosing the buddy . In particular, if you are going to abandon 100% redundancy and dive wearing linked manifold doubles alone, you must NOT have a Vanishing Buddy, because you may need him in a hurry if you have a serious first stage freeflow. You can NOT rely on closing the manifold off quickly enough - indeed, Murphy's Law states clearly that the emergency will occur in a restriction, where you may not be able to reach the manifold anyway. There are places where reaching over your head and behind your neck involves going through six inches of rock, because your elbow sticks up much higher than the tanks themselves, and out to the side, during that manoevre.

Proposition 3. Or you may decide that the possibility of handling things solo-style is too terrible to contemplate, so you MUST have a buddy that "sticketh closer than a brother"; he neds to be very reliable, and though his gear configuration need not be your own, you surely need to be familiar with it. That's getting close to the DIR line, though of course the choice(s) of gear configuration need not be Hogarthian.
And what do you do, Prof. Read? Well, about half my dives are solo, either with independent sidemounted doubles or independent backmounted doubles or linked doubles plus buddy bottle. The other half are done according to Propositions 1 or 2.

Joey Gonzales

Jarad Cline

Antonio Garcia

Christina Ceja

Names in my gradebook (from school)......

class IndicatorCell_jbFeedback_actionAdapter
implements java.awt.event.ActionListener {
IndicatorCell adaptee;

IndicatorCell_jbFeedback_actionAdapter(IndicatorCell adaptee) {
this.adaptee = adaptee;
}

public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {
adaptee.jbFeedback_actionPerformed(e);
}
}

I'm at work and I'm a coder :wink:

Back