Suggestion New Forum for Agency Bashing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Ann Marie

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd love to see a new forum for Agency Bashing. I've noticed recently that when new divers ask questions about classes and training that the threads turn into an agency bashing free for all. Heck, even threads that have nothing to do with classes and training have turned into 'my agency is better than yours' forums.

I'm not saying that there aren't changes that could be made in ALL agencies that could benefit divers but I'm just so tired of reading all the same arguments made by all the same people when threads are hijacked.

El Orans:
Probably, I try to keep Site Support on topic though.

There is enough MOFia elsewhere on SB.

I don't know what MOFia is. Is that where new forums should be proposed? I would have thought she was correct in choosing Site Support.

MOFia -> off-topic banter (The Great MOF/NMOF Thread).

This is the right forum if it's a genuine request.

Well, Laurens even though I did make a tounge-in-cheek request since I knew that there is no way ScubaBoard would allow this forum part of my post was serious.

I am just sick of all the severe critism. I've worked very hard to become an instructor. I don't plan to make a living at it I just teach because I want to share this wonderful new world with people. While I don't take the negativity personally, it does get old.

Why not post something that we can use to make diving as a sport better. Come on, someone with 1000+ dives that has been teaching for years has to have some tips that can make instructors better instead of saying 'your system blows'.

As far as reporting posts, I reported a post early this week. I haven't heard anything from a Mod. Why report anything if I can't get feedback on what I thought was a personal attack? But to hear nothing; not an it wasn't a personal attack, not a you've settled it between yourselves (we did), not a it was a misunderstanding (it was), nada!

Ann Marie:
As far as reporting posts, I reported a post early this week. I haven't heard anything from a Mod. Why report anything if I can't get feedback on what I thought was a personal attack? But to hear nothing; not an it wasn't a personal attack, not a you've settled it between yourselves (we did), not a it was a misunderstanding (it was), nada!
There's a PM on its way to you now...

I am just sick of all the severe critism.

Can you give some specific examples?

Why not post something that we can use to make diving as a sport better. Come on, someone with 1000+ dives that has been teaching for years has to have some tips that can make instructors better

I agree, they should. Many have become bored and burned out.

One thing that really makes criticism more constructive, is to first give something positive.... (a pointer, a tip...something valuable) THEN, state your negative constructively. There are many experienced Instructors here who don't seem to feel it is important to "bring something to the table". They have a lot to offer. Also, there is a real need in SCUBA, to make newcomers "learn everything the hard way."

Having said that, we don't give enough reverance to the old timer divers and the wisdom they have. You need to "stroke it out of them." Once they feel appreciated they will tell you what they know.

Well... I hate to say it... but some of our best proponents of improved training standards have lost some of their bite...

Stephen, I think it's rather nice that we aren't struck in 2002. I don't think that was fun for either of us. I like our new and improved relationship much better.

Ann Marie, I see lots of suggestions on how to improve classes in almost every one of those threads. I'll try to come up with a positive "instructing tips" thread when I get home this evening. If you don't see one tonight, please send me a reminder PM, I can be forgetful. Would you like it in the Instructor forum?

Laurens, I believe we are way off topic at this point, my sincere apologies.

Walter:
Stephen, I think it's rather nice that we aren't struck in 2002. I don't think that was fun for either of us. I like our new and improved relationship much better.

Agreed!

And you give lots of instructional tips and positive comments... probably more than anyone.

catherine96821:
Can you give some specific examples?

I saw this posted on another thread earlier today: "I watched PADI sell ITC's in the mid seventies. I was there when PADI swore they would never teach nitrox. There is a reason why they are called Put Another Dollar In and why there phone number is 1-800-pay padi"

While I have have laughed at this in the past when other professionals mentioned the same, as Professionals we are held to a higher standard and if we have a problem with our or other agencies there are better ways to go about making changes. I have a funny PADI joke too but would only tell it to my peers and not my students.

Heck, lets not forget that PADI, NAUI and most other certification agencies are there to make a profit like any other business. Can you imagine if the government got into the 'SCUBA Certification' business?

catherine96821:
One thing that really makes criticism more constructive, is to first give something positive.... (a pointer, a tip...something valuable) THEN, state your negative constructively. There are many experienced Instructors here who don't seem to feel it is important to "bring something to the table". They have a lot to offer. Also, there is a real need in SCUBA, to make newcomers "learn everything the hard way."

Concur.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom